Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are your thoughts on battery tenders?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yooper Farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve got a Farmall H that"ll be stored inside for 5 months, its got a battery that is a year old. Wondering if it would be a good idea to put my trickle charging battery tender on it, or if they pose any fire hazards.
I don"t really want to pull the battery because this summer I installed a new battery box and getting the battery in there and all the cables in place was a challenge.

DoubleR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My C batt is about 7-8 years old. I would throw a charger on it every now and then for a few hours in the winter. The tractor normally sets for 3-4 months in the winter. The last couple years I've put a tender on it and plug it in for a few days now and then. I have never had any problems with the batt. I have not taken the battery out since I put it in.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yooper Farmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:30:27 11/26/12) I"ve got a Farmall H that"ll be stored inside for 5 months, its got a battery that is a year old. Wondering if it would be a good idea to put my trickle charging battery tender on it, or if they pose any fire hazards.
I don"t really want to pull the battery because this summer I installed a new battery box and getting the battery in there and all the cables in place was a challenge.

I've got two of those tenders. They are probably the greatest thing to come along since sliced bread. Mine are now going on their second year of use with no problems of any kind.

I really do need to get two more.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been useing a battery tender for about 6 years with no problems. I have them on my garden and farm tractors. Those so called one year batteries for garden tractors are now lasting over 5 years.

flambeauone
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive not had any problems with using them. I plan on putting them on my mower next the tractor has had one in use for about three years.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 6 of them and leave them on all the time. You might keep your eye on them because on one tractor one battery leaked some water out the top, I simply left the caps loose, currently closed with no further problems. They work fine and are well worth the $20-25.

Dude with a 300
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have several 6 and 12 volt and really like them. I put one on a deep cycle battery for a winch on my trailer which I use a couple times a year at most. The battery is six years old and is in perfect condition. Put it on and leave it on. The price of the Battery Tender is quickly offset by not having to buy a new battery every couple years.

Bruce

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Schumacher makes a good one, available at WalMart for about $20. They work great and are reliable. The same unit works on both 6 and 12 volt systems. It appears they have just changed the unit as WM web site is currently showing 2 models with one out of stock. You can find some cheap ones at places like Harbor Freight. Avoid them.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim Becker wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:51:10 11/26/12) Schumacher makes a good one, available at WalMart for about $20. They work great and are reliable. The same unit works on both 6 and 12 volt systems. It appears they have just changed the unit as WM web site is currently showing 2 models with one out of stock. You can find some cheap ones at places like Harbor Freight. Avoid them.

Schumaker is what I have. I was just now looking on Amazon and they have them listed for $20 and some odd cents.

mike1972chev
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are a great idea for batteries that "sit around" alot and while in storage. I have one from Auto Meter and it works great.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been using the Schumakers for years. So far so good.

Also the $5 Harbor Freight ones.

LenNH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have a tender, but I do store a battery from my tractor from September through June. I keep it in my garage and put a regular charger on it about every two weeks. Can't freeze that way, and it seems to work just fine in the spring. Have been doing this for 3 years now with the same battery. The tender sounds like a good idea, though.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 4 of them. Use them all the time. I reccomend them. Period.

Roger46
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been using BatteryMINDer brand battery tenders for many years. They are a little more expensive, but one of the guys I used to work with researched all the brands and found that that brand was the best for both maintaining the charge and conditioning the battery. I have batteries over 10 years old on one or two of my tractors using them. I have 8 of them that I just put on all my tractors and pickup put away for the winter. I will take them off in the spring when I start driving them.
Roger

BOB HAWBECKER
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on battery tenders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have had good luck with Deltran Battery Tender

use it for riding mower & motorcycle & farmall & the ford tractor works great

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.