Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

More U.S. made goes bye bye

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stopped by TSC yesteday since they are all restocked for Christams shopping and noticed that all the Ingersol Rand compressors small to big now say made in India, even the 2 stage v twin T-30 type. I just bought and I-R there mid summer because it was still made here, glad I didnt wait.

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

News today says 112 people in a Bangledesh sewing factory burned to death. They were trapped, no emergency exit. As much as unions get criticized this is one thing they fought for a century ago...safer working conditions. It's sad the people in 3rd world countries get taken advantage of.

Chester5731
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gtractorfan wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:15:07 11/26/12) As much as unions get criticized this is one thing they fought for a century ago...safer working conditions. .
There are laws for that stuff now. Now all a union is good for is making the company go broke(think twinkie).

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The reason there are no emergency exits is cause they fear the employees stealing the goods.
Even happens in the US at times.

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Perhaps if the government allowed companies here to keep some of their profits, they would make more stuff here. I believe the official title for moving industry overseas is "Hope & Change".

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unions make certain the OSHA laws are enforced otherwise
employers will ignore the law.

Gchase24
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am so sick and tired of union bashing! If you do some research you would find the Twinkies company had ten or more CEO's and numerous managment problems prior to thier closing.They wanted the union to take up to a thirty percent cut in wages. Can you survive on a thirty percent reduction in wages? Hell no!!!!! US companies are reporting record profits and the medium US workers wages are at an all time low since the 1960's. Do your home work before you make stupid statements.

Spade - IN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd have to disagree... I've never worked in a union environment but almost all of my employers have been rather uptight about complying with OSHA laws.

Unions did greats things for workers once upon a time, but IMHO that ended a long time ago - now they're just as greedy as the next corporation.

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I look at what the effects of government policy would be even if global warming were true. Would a system of taxing companies for exhaust gases make the world any cooler, Not hardly. It would merely take money from companies. I find green products are a scam, even if you believe in global warming. Several companies that collect extra money because their products are eco friendly only qualify to say this, because they contribute some of their extra charge to green enough charities. Their products often are no more green than anyone else's. Like you I figure that global warming is a scam, but even if it were real nothing government does to curb it has any hope of success.

Tom in TN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gchase24,

I don't know about the negotiations at Hostess, but based on your statement, the bakers faced a reduction of 30% in pay. I know that I would have a hard time with a 30% reduction, but I would be willing to accept a 100% reduction.

Oh, wait. Maybe that wouldn't be too good either.

Tom in TN

55 50 Ron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wisbaker and Bob Huntress. You guys are right on. I agree 100%. Why can't we get our leaders to understand this common sense? Your comment about anything gov tries to curb this has no hope of success is SO TRUE. IF OR WHEN there may be any global warming, it will be a far bigger happening than any government can prevent. And lest we forget, government IS US and do any group of us feel qualified to tackle something that is only in God's realm of things??

Lamar Fudd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Tom in TN"](quoted from post at 23:34:52 11/26/12) Gchase24,

I don't know about the negotiations at Hostess, but based on your statement, the bakers faced a reduction of 30% in pay. I know that I would have a hard time with a 30% reduction, but I would be willing to accept a 100% reduction.

Oh, wait. Maybe that wouldn't be too good either.

Tom in TN[/quote
] They also lost the $3.00 an hour contribution they were having taken from their paychecks to help keep the company afloat. Executives gave themselves huge bonuses with that money and decided to go Bankrupt. A Judge approved the scheme with the pension money. Some Justice, huh.

S.Crum
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suppose before too much union bashing gets going, it's worthy to note that the IR air tool division up in Athens went NON-union some 15 years ago and it closed down 2 years ago. At the time of closure it was mostly an assembly operation as most if not all parts were brought in from overseas. The tool could get the USA label by being assembled here. The IR foundry division in Waverly NY closed almost 20 years ago. One of the guys I work with was a foreman there. It was cheaper for IR to have their casting and machining done overseas than just the casting done 3 miles from their machining and assembly plant. Worker productivity is a huge issue in any business. To bash a union, it would appear the big issue is productivity being stiffled by antiquated union rules, and a few boneheads that refuse to budge because it "violate tradition".

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: More U.S. made goes bye bye Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our taxes pay for OSHA, and it's OSHA's job to enforce the laws on the books. If they need a union to force them to do it (((and I've known them to do inspections, and levy huge fines on just as many non union companies as union controlled companies))) then we have a huge problem with out tax money being wasted for something other than what it was taken from us for.

That said, OSHA and company rules will never over ride the pure human stupidity. That one thing causes way to many accidents than anything else. Problem is that ultimately they get blamed on the company, instead of on the stupidity of the individual that caused said accident........

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters