Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which paint gun should I buy?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
littleschnebs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I have a family member that offered to buy me a paint gun if I would paint his tractor at some point. I have not painted much, just a couple of small one shank subsoilers. I Have at least four tractors I want to paint in the future. My question is what would everyone recommend for a paint gun. Looking for a nice paint gun that will last and do a nice job. thanks

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you plan to paint cars I would buy a cheap harbor freight gun. It doesn't atomize the paint as well as a expensive professional sprayer but with a 20% off coupon it's only about $16.00. I have four of them and I have painted anything from fine furniture to tractors with them. It's item #97855. I also have one of their gravity feed gun, better known as the purple gun I don't care for. It comes in handy for small batches of catalyzed paint where you need to use every drop. The siphon guns take a couple of ounces of paint just to function.

Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great question, Littleschnebs - I was about to ask the same thing.

I liked your answer, too, Stephen - I thought I'd need to spend a lot more than that.

A follow-up question: how much of an air compressor does it take to operate one of those spray guns?

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The size of the compressor depends on how much you need to spray at one time. If a person had only one of these little smudgepot compressors made for a nail gun they would never be able to spray the cast body of a tractor. It would soon drain the tank and you would have to stop and wait for the compressor to catch up. Then it would show a lap mark where you stopped and started again. I have a small 1 hp speedaire compressor that is only rated at 4.9 cfm at 100 psi. It will deliver enough air to paint any tractor. I've even used the compressor to paint a house with a pressure pot when my airless was down. I didn't have to stop very often to let it catch up.

I'm a fan of Harbor Freight but I would stay away from their compressors. I bought a 2 hp compressor item #67501 and within a couple of weeks the pump started coming apart internally. There was no fuss in exchanging the compressor but the replacement is just over a year old now and it's worn out. Of course I'm using it professionally but it was to replace the speedaire that is 25 years old. In all fairness the speedaire would have been 4 or 5 times the price of the harbor freight compressor though.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are planning to paint a lot of tractors buy a decent gun. I have guns that range from about $150 to $400 -- I am not a professional painter. The $400 one is visually better than the $150 ones. If you are disassembling the tractor you will find that a small touch up gun will paint a lot of small parts and waste less paint. You should have a gun dedicated to primers, particularly if you are using high build primers or surfacers. Tips for the topcoat and epoxy primers should be 1.3-1.5 mm, for high build or surfacers about 1.8. My painting compressor is a 60 gal single stage that will put out 15 cfm at 100 psi. I also have a 23 cfm 80 gal compressor primarily for sand blasting and air powered sanders. Once you get a compressor you will find that you want to do more with it than paint. If you are only going to paint one or 2 tractors a cheap compressor and gun will work. I have been doing this for 10 years, and hope to continue -- thus I buy better equipment.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when I priced compressors a while back, I was looking at 60g 240v uprights, etc.

HF, lowes and home depot and northern tool.

lowes had the best price on a ? husky or some such H name.. and it was actually a CH unit, rebranded and painted red, not blue. surprisingly was cheaper than the chicago pneumatic... go figure.!

been a great compressor.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

go grab a 15$ harbor freight one, and a piece of old roof tin, and do a lil practicing. you can learn alot on a cheap gun.. whether you decide to stay with a sub 100$ gun.. or go to a nicer one like a DB.. the practice don't hurt.

many times you can find a DB knock off in the 20-30$ range at a chinese store.

I have a collection of different guns.

a syphon for primer and another for color.. plus a touch up with small can and butterfly on it. I also have a pressure pot and an hvlp.

none were over 60$.. and at least a couple were under 20$. I've painted dozens of tractgors and a few vehicles at this point.

neither paint, nor the gun was the limiting factor in quality of finish.

prep on the body is almost alays the bulk of it.

100$ a gallon paint out of a 400$ gun, on 5$ of prep work looks like a 2$ paint job.

30$ a gallon paint thru a 50$ gun, on 2 weeks of prep work can look real nice.

rustyj14
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back around 30-40 years, i was working in Auto body repairs, and painting. I couldn't afford the high priced spray guns sold then, so i'd buy the el-cheapos at the local flea markets, about $35 or $40! They worked as good as the $200 ones. I never had any complaints about the quality of the finish, or how it looked. There were some folks who disparaged my use of the cheap guns. I always figured--if ya know what yer doing, you can make the job look right, they're ok to use. But, it takes practice, with many months of spraying primer and laquer, before venturing into enamel paints, which always had the tendency to run off, if ya got too much in one spot! forty some years in the trade, until the paint got to me. Now, 10 minutes in a working auto body/paint shop, and i can't breathe. Be fore-warned about the hardeners and other drying chemicals now in the paints.
I now use sponge brushes to paint anything, except Laquer and primer.

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got the husky pro one from home depot.

Really just because I was itching to paint one day and it was the only option for an impulse purchase. Think it was around $100

I was nervous that I should be spending a little more on a gun - but it's painted a tractor, implements, hammer mill, truck panel, and a few odds and ends. I'm happy with the results.

First time painting with anything but a brush or rattle can so I can't compare it to anything.

But - no regrets.

Wayne Wiseman

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have painted three tractors using different guns. I'm well pleased with the last one I purchased from Eastwood. It cost $99. and is call Evolution. It is the best gun I have used. I'm not a trained painter but the results with the Eastwood Evolution Gun does make a difference. I paint with NAPA single stage urethane paint. It makes the tractor look like a show tractor. There is a difference between show cars and show tractors.

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a small touch-up gun based on a reccomondation here and was glad I did. They are easy to maneuver and it was almost like an extension of my hand.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have all sata guns here at the shop. anest iwata is also a good gun, comparable to the sata guns. they are pricey. depending on the model, either gun will set you back 400 to 600 dollars. all are gravity feed hvlp guns. ebay has a lot of used ones in the 200-300 dollar range. rebuild kits are readily available, as are different tips and cup options. a good gun in the hands of a novice painter with a little practice will give good results. a cheap gun that doesnt atomize correctly with give bad results. shooting something like acrylic enamel or single stage urethane. you are gonna have 400 in materials. base clear, figure 500 at least. the hvlp has way less overspray, and will put down considerably more material than a siphon gun, saving about 25 to 30 percent material costs. a good gun will pay for itself in a couple of paint jobs.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as air compressors, I would stay away from the oiless direct drive compressors. They make better water pumps than air pumps because all they pump is moisture. I ran two water traps in the line, put an extra tank in line and put two disposable filters on the end of my gun and would still occasionaly get moisture thru the gun. That was with a 5hp 33 gallon Craftsman compressor. I got rid of it several years ago. Get as big of a compressor as you can afford even if it is a used one because if you are going to run a D.A. or sand blaster much it will run a smaller compressor to death.

kylemorley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with the Harbor Freight 66222? It's the current version of the 43430 gravity-feed HVLP "Purple Gun" which became a cult item with DIYers of all stripes because it worked so well for the price ($30 to $70 depending on what the current sale is).

Supposedly a very good learners gun, being cheap, but capable of really good results.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which paint gun should I buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a SATA, nice gun but not cheap.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.