Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Numbers of tractors produced?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did any other tractor manufacturer ever exceed the number of grey Fergusons built? I am talking about the basic 20 and 30 and not the MHF35.
As far as I can find out there were....
517,651 built in UK
140,000 built in USA
66,117 built in France.... total ....723,768 tractors
I assume the others built in India etc were all only assembled and are counted under the UK numbers?
Just curious.....Sam

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford made over 800,000 'N' series(9,2,Cool tractorsIH/farmall made close to 400,000 'H's,280,000 'M's.The JD 'B' was produced in high numbers.

MFPoor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

9N and 2N were very similar, however the 8N was a much different animal. Counting them as one model for puffing up the numbers isn't quite right. If that's OK, the Ferguson shound be able to include the TO35/MF35 along with 20/30 numbers to be fair.

From what I've seen and read, the original "Fordson" (model N???) built in the teens and 20's was the highest produced single model ever. Don't have numbers handy, but there were an astronomical number of them built.

MFPoor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Model F and model N.........

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford made nearly 500,000 model 8N tractors in the US.

Nothing else comes close.

Dean

Bill(Wis)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the winner was the Fordson F with 755,278 built in Dearborn, MI and 7,597 being built in Cork, Ireland for a total of 762,875. If you consider the Ford 9N, 2N, and 8N to be the same, then that would be the winner with a total of 830,176.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Surely, Dean.... 517,651 built in England is more than the nearly 500,000 model Ns?

JerryS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would love to know how many of the Ns are still out there and still working. I've got one, and I see them everywhere. No matter what road you go down, you won't go 50 miles without spotting at least one.

Bill(Wis)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hate to take the wind out of your sails (not really) but they were a totally useless contrivance to us. Actually, dangerous. Useless because they had a hard time pulling one (ONE) plow bottom in our field conditions, they didn't have the weight required to pull a load of hay safely, and downright dangreous because of their ridiculously small size. We were used to pulling things around with two 2500 lb horses. This little thing only weighed 2500 lbs all by itself. IT WOULDN'T PULL ANYTHING! We jokingly referred to them as "Garden Tractors" long before there was such a thing. They should have been outlawed and I'm a Republican. That's enough for now, but I have lots more to say about those absolutely stupid little contrivances that someone had the audacity to call a "tractor". PHHHEWW!

JerryS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Numbers of tractors produced? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Re-reading my post, I don't see where I placed the N on any kind of pedestal. I simply pointed out that many were made, and many are still around.

That said, I do love my little 8N. It fits me, and it has done everything I've ever asked it to do, including some fairly rugged work. Admittedly it would not be the machine of choice for a big midwestern grain farmer, though in its early days it may have at least been equal to its competitors. The N obviously had some utility, as evidenced by my original point----there are lots of them still around and being used.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.