Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MD Filter Follow-up Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hattrick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I have not yet been able to come up with the filter flange parts for my MD Auxilary Diesel. My Diesel filter assembly uses two filter types. The Primary filter uses a cartridge that fits into the machined cast base. The Aux Filter uses the yarn spool and is intendted to have upper and lower retainers with the lower retainer sitting on the cast base that is less machined. It is basically a washer with a shoulder on it. My follow-up question is that it looks like WIX makes an Aux filter(Part# 33147) that is a cartridge type filter with a flat base with a gasket. Has anyone ever used this filter? If so is this filter just intended to sit on the cast base? Or is intended to sit on the retainer like the yarn spool type filter. I will try and attach a picture of the aux filter.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i asked about this at caseih when i got mine and they said that these 2 are used in place of the yarn one.
i dont exactly remember now how the bases were, but if both bases are the same and both these filters the same then it should be good to go as spring pressure pushes on them.
a pic would be nice.
as a person wants a good seal on btm and top.

Hattrick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The final filter is definitely different as it has a neck on the bottom of the filter that fits down inside the machined hole. This filter is a WIX33148 and similar to the IH one that I bought. There are some people that say that you can use this filter for both but on the unit I have the hole is not the same size and not machined. I have read that on the 400's and WD/TD's that the later ones had two machined holes and used the same filter. Also there is no spring that holds the filter down. If I had the retainer/flanges it would really not be an issue. Anyone have suggestions for good Farmall Parts Yards that would have MD/TD6 parts?

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a extra base that takes the same filters in both if interested in going that way. Probably needs some clean up.
Yes you find the early type that someone put the filters in, but unless they used the adapter the fluid is bypassing at the bottom.
IH started using the same filter type bases during 400 production.

Hattrick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could you send me some pictures? I would also not want to do any replumbing if the connections are different. Did yours come off an MD. Also I have an "A" pump if that matters.

Thanks

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

May get the picture tomorrow. Its off a D281 engine. Fittings all in the same places. Would need to put your cans and water trap on it. Don't know the model MD you have, but if a line has different fittings on the end. Your fittings will screw right in to the pipe threads in the base. Should have the bolt to include for the can. If you notice the shoulder on the sock bolt is a different length. Shoulder like the other bolt is used with same type filters.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haskins in Miles IA had a few really complete MDs when I was there this summer.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back side of a MD and the one for both filters the same closest. Only difference in the other side is the aux filter hole opening size. Real late MD can have a casting that looks the same on the back side but hole sizes are different.
Different filter bolts for MD pictured. Both the long shoulder bolts used with both filters the same.
Only about a 1/16 size in some hole openings. Fellow could probably make a thin sleeve to work and put a spacer on the original bolt if wanting to put a finial filter in the aux.
Casting I have needs a good cleaning and was selling cheep just so someone would get some use from it. Email is open if interested if not thats fine.

Dan MD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do a parts search for 62945DA on Tractor House.

Last edited by Dan MD on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan MD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure if you found a resolution to your problem yet. Your post reminded me that I had the same problem as you only I was missing both the top and bottom pieces. I just ordered the above part number from FP Smith and it is supposed to be a kit that contains all the parts #22 covers from your part drawing. It was $25 for both plates, gasket and filter. I haven't got mine yet, so I hope it is what I think it is.

Dan

Hattrick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise on Hasken Tractor. I called them and they are going to ship me the entire filter unit assy with all the parts for new style filters in both sides. I also scored a hour meter from him. I hope it works.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hattrick wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:03:17 12/06/12) Thanks for the advise on Hasken Tractor. I called them and they are going to ship me the entire filter unit assy with all the parts for new style filters in both sides. I also scored a hour meter from him. I hope it works.

No problem. I acutally got an hour meter for my SMTA when I was there. It is dated a little too early for the SMTA, but it is better than the tin plate that was there before!

Hattrick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had an hour meter on the MD tractor I have but it would not turn. I took it apart and it seems pretty clean but the individual digits do not rotate on the cluster even though it does not seem to be froze up. I am not really sure how that mechanism works or how to get it apart. I like fiddleing with this kind of stuff but did not want to break it. I found out that there is a Stewart Warner type and one other that I do not recall the name. I read about it on this forum or an old thread on Red Power.

Hattrick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It would have been nice to know that these were available but at the same time it would be nice to be able to run two cartridges rather than one cartridge and one yarn filter. One issue that I am having it that the clearance on the diesel sediment bowl screw hits against the frame and therefor you cannot easily remove the sediment bowl. It seems like there should be more clearance than that and based on how the frame rails are there is not really any way around this. I have verified that the sediment bowl that I have is 4" which is what is shown on a few aftermarket sites. I am curious if you have an MD how much clearance you have. Thanks

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MD Filter Follow-up Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a picture.

The new filters aren't yarn. They are a cartridge filter just like the rest.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.