Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rear view mirror on tractors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MI-Bill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm getting older and have difficulty turning to look back when working with my elderly Ford 8N and 640 tractors-backblade,scoop,etc. has anyone mounted a rear view mirror on their tractor or lawn mowers? what worked?
Bill in Michigan

mtn.man
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a spot mirror mounted on the exhaust stack rain cap on my loader tractor it works really well when loading to see if someone has driven up behind you before you back up also safer on the road so you can see a vehicle coming up behind you.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You know what would work well, is what I recall on the late model dozers like a CAT D4G, and or backhoe's though the mount location would be interesting, its a rectangular mirror, convex too, so you can practically see everything, though there is no substitute for actually looking, when working alone, no one on the ground to worry about, they sure are handy, yet I still find myself taking a quick look, just habit I suppose.

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a mirror on our tractor. Mounted it on the fender. It is a skiing mirror for a boat as I recall. It is a large convex mirror.Looks like a big side mirror for a car. Works real well as the vibration of the tractor seems to be not as noticable in the convex mirror. Slick for us that can't see to back up!

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At one time you could buy a mirror kit at farm stores that mounted on left fender. We had one on our 706 IHC, worked fairly good for road travel.

WGWKy2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used rear view mirrors on tractors since 1959. I bought an IH 46 hay baler, had to watch it like a hawk!!

rusty6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I find the rear view mirror is most useful for road travel with the tractors. Vehicles can sneak up pretty quick unless I am always twisting my head around. Now I just need to install one on the Massey that I haul bales with.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mirror is from a '76 Ford F100, mounted on a Farmall H.

FBH44
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went to Otasco (Coast to Coast) and bought a bicycle mirror, mounted it on the light bar on a Farmall "H". Works great so I can see oncoming traffic.

37chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will be doing that next year. Mainly to look for smoke from a rock strike. I have had four so far since I have been mowing. I need to get up in my seat and turn to see now. The old neck isn't as limber as is was when I was younger. Stan

LA in WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"m rushing to 76 and it"s a real pain to turn my head around so I mounted a pickup truck mirror to the left end of the light bar on my H Farmall. At certain motor rpms it will vibrate a little, so I just adjust the throttle. I liked it so well I put one on my BN Farmall too.
I wouldn"t drive down a road without a mirror...too many crazies out there.

One of the mandatory items tractors have to have for the Great Eastern Iowa Tractorcade is a mirror. A great rule.
LA in WI

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had trouble seeing behind loaded bale wagons on the road, so I put a truck mirror on the grab rail of my 6400. It will swing out of the way if it hits something, and is easily readjusted.

Bendee

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been thinking about a truck mirror,the neck swivel is not what it used to be.

MJ in the UK

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Bill, here in the UK in the 1950s all new Ferguson TE20s came with a mirror mounted on the vertical exhaust pipe. The only problem is we drive on the LH side of the road so you lads want a tractor with a LH exhaust pipe. MJ

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: rear view mirror on tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just went to an auction and bought 3 truck mirrors, the older rectangular style about 6"x10". At least one will go on the fender of my DB990 so I can keep and eye on the round baler. Twisting in the seat every few seconds is killing me!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.