Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 2 cement blocks, a 16 inch 2x6 with 2x2 on the end. Gets the mower up high enough to use 1/2 inch cordless impact to spin blades off.

jb9959
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are tractor lifts available to jack up the entire front end. Just slide it under the front end of the tractor and raise the front end about 2.5 ft above the ground. I also use an impact wrench to remove and re-attach the blades.

You don't have to fool with the hydraulic jack.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cherry picker and lift the front 6ft in the air.

BUTCH IN NY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can buy a boom pole for the back of that nice
hundred series Ford and lift your mower and have
the boom pole for everything else and its
cheaper than a lawn mower lift. And more useful. Although I use my cherry picker!!!

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do the same as the other guys I have a engine hoist and stand the tractor on its rear wheels. With impact wrench I can change blades in a very short time.

willie in mn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trying not to sound like a samrt ankle here. I just drive the back wheels onto a scrap of 2x4, raise the deck with the hand lift, & use 3/8 impact. But I have a 42 year old machine, green with yellow wheels.
Willie

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Butch, I have a backhoe and a cherry picket. Have no need for a boom. Besides, the hyd on the ford leaks down when turned off.

Forgot to mention, I want the tractor level. When I remove blades at the end of the season, I also change oil. Can't do that when it's standing on the rear wheels. Don't like the idea of standing tractor on rear wheels for fear of acid coming out of battery.

Keep in mind, this is cheap, easy and safe. Do what ever works for you.

George

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 areas, that I use, to work on mowers. I run a commercial lawncare service, so I know of what I speak. First area that I use is the foundation/slab of an old chicken coop, built into a hill, I can get a range of heights, for different jobs, on different machines, just by where I park the machine. The one that I use most, is a 4' long, by 18" wide, by about 18", skateboard "drop in" tamp, that I found in the park dumpster. I use it to change blades, just drive one of the front wheels up the ramp, set the brake, and chock it, blade change takes about 15 minutes, MAX.

I did notice that the OP, has sense enough to use the cinderblocks the right way, with the holes up, and the board on top, to lessen stress, that might crumble them!

DownSouth
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pull the deck out on mine, takes less than a minute. Then I have a better look at the belts, towers and idler while it's out. No winter storage here, we mow all year.....just not as often this time of year.
You do have a good and safe idea there, and it's level so you can change oil etc.

Tom Stenerson

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mow-jak,under $200 drive with air ratchet,drill,or hand crank! At 70+,it's worth it!!!

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think everyone has missed my point, CHEAP AND EASY. I already have 3 floor jacks, very easy to get to, takes less time than starting my loader to lift mowers, jacks roll very easily, 2 old cement blocks, 2 scrap 2x6. Cost ZERO.

Ramps won't allow me to get to the blades with an impact.

Standing tractor on it's rear wheels will let the gas come out the tank on two of my movers.

Need it level to change oil when I remove blades and sharpen. Also can get the oil pan under the mower deck.

This works well for me.

Please use what well works for you.

I like making things that are CHEAP AND FREE.

George

wilson ind
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that goes for wimmen 2

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bill, I looked at the kitty and smiled.
George

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap and easy way to remove mover blades. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like alot of work when all you need to do is turn the tractor upside down(LOL)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.