Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brady Miller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What size pull type disc can I handle with my Farmall SMTA?

Hayfarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it depends upon type of disc, soil and how deep you want to go. I have a 9 foot offset JD disc that is pretty heavy. In plowed ground it was all my SMTA wanted. Tandum discs don't pull quite as hard.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

farmall super m's handle 10 ft disc's hyd. or drag type no problem.

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brady Miller wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:55:37 11/27/12) What size pull type disc can I handle with my Farmall SMTA?

Dad pulled an 11 1/2' Kewanee with his 460 and they should be about the same HP. But, as has been mentioned, it depends on the soil and how deep. The home place was pretty easy plowing and disking.... sandy loam with a lot of manure added over the years.

soybeanjoe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot will depend upon soil type & the make of the disc as some discs pulled harder than others. 'Back in the day" we pulled 9' Kewanee discs with our SM & 450. Later bought a 13' IH #37 and both tractors pulled it as well as they did the Kewanees. I think it was mainly because the IH used a ball bearing & the Kewanees used a block type bearing which created more drag.

Crookedwrench
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The very first hydraulic disc on our farm followed a JD 3020. It was an IH 10" #37 3020 was traded for 4020. Disc went to a 47 "M" Gasser. The old gal did just fine in 3rd, but she was VERY thristy. Restored the disc and added drag last year. Old M was sold at estate sale.

CenTex Farmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a nice looking disc! I like the drag.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have hyd on my SMTA right now, but my 13' RWA JD is a pretty decent load for my MD.

Last edited by sflem849 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pulled a Krause 13 1/2' with the Super M I use to have without any problem. The only problem is I wish I had it back.

Too Far Gone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive got a 400 and we always had this 210 John Deere disc as a kid that we pulled with a 4010 at least.I got in a bind last year and hooked the 400 to it.I believe its around 14 ft wide.It pulls it great in 3rd gear working up a 4 inch seed bed,not spinning,just walkin and talkin.Its only weighing 7400 with me and wide front,fast hitch and a pair of rear weights.I know it wouldnt do it in plowed ground,but it fooled the he11 out of me

mike1972chev
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know guys will argue,but a 10' is the average disc they used.

I bought a 10' #37 IH for my Super M(It measures more like 10' 4"-6" wide)with 16" cutters. It was pulled behind a 400 it's whole life since it was new. In better soil you could probably use a wider disk,but on average right around a 10 footer is what I have seen the majority of them pulling.

casered
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In our soil our 47M with a super kit would pull our 10ft IH #470 in plowed ground with a 12ft Case drag harrow behind it all day long.

Peter Boyum
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pull Type Disc for a Farmall SMTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Didn't put the wings down but mine handled this one pretty good!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.