Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Combine!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat Shipper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a tour of the harvester works factory in Moline today. It was pretty impressvive. They had a combine with an eighteen row corn head in the show room. They said the machine and head would retail for nearly 3/4 of a million. Just trying to comprehend who how why where anyone could justify that. Maybe some one could paint me a picture.

Ryan Renko
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you remember back in high school when you wanted to be known as having the nicest car in school?? Well nowadays its a ego booster for some guys to have "bragging rights" at the local coffee shop for having the biggest combine. They might have the biggest on the market and only 1 year old and if something bigger is introduced they will trade up in a second and lose money just to get it!!! Having a small personal unit makes guys do what they can to feel bigger I guess.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know what you mean.I 'upgraded' from a 45/313 to a 95/443,I feel like I got the biggest combine ever!

Kell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buying new big combines can be profitable. Neighbor buys new every fall and trades it in the following summer. Does about 5 or 6 thousand acres a year. Makes money running new with warranty over running used and having to pay for repairs. The dealership he goes through has a short line of customers waiting for the 1yo used combines to arrive so they can buy it with their 2-3yo combine... and so on. There are customers at every level, and most can justify it with their profit margins.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kell wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:12:03 11/28/12) Buying new big combines can be profitable. Neighbor buys new every fall and trades it in the following summer. Does about 5 or 6 thousand acres a year. Makes money running new with warranty over running used and having to pay for repairs. The dealership he goes through has a short line of customers waiting for the 1yo used combines to arrive so they can buy it with their 2-3yo combine... and so on. There are customers at every level, and most can justify it with their profit margins.

True. Also, the biggest combines and biggest pickups usually point out the shortest d*&ks in the area... Wink

RichG
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You do 5000 acres plus the price is not a huge issue. It is getting it done fast with no break downs. That is what the big boys are after.

Nice

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly my thoughts! I understand buying new and having a warranty, I can't comprehend who feels they need an 18 row head. Incredible overkill, of course I work full time + some overtime and farm with junk so working long hours isn't an issue. I'd sign up right now to harvest 6000 acres with a 9400 4 row today if someone would give me the chance, and I'd get the job done.

Nathaniel Watts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I love it Delta!

Straw Boss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For some farmers who have their bills paid, its just good buisness to trade every year. New machine 300,000. Trade in used one season 250,000. Boot difference 50,000. Divided by acres harvested of 3,500 = cost of 14.3 dollars per acre or 2.5 bu of corn. You can't hire it done for that. You can take fast depreciation on the boot, you have no maintainance costs, no repair costs, and biggest benefit for these guys, no down time.
Second biggest benefit is less hired labor which in todays world is huge. We're easily harvesting with one machine what we used to do with three just a couple decades ago. Good farm help is near non existant in some areas. Other benefits are you get the latest technology, latest in fuel efficiency, latest in gps/computer/auto-steer/mapping software, latest in options like tracks, folding unload augers, electric folding bin extensions, fridge, heated seats etc.
Some of this sounds over the top but remember these guys run sun up to sun down and longer just like the little farmers. Harvest is harvest and the crop needs to be in the bin no matter the size of your farm. Its all comes down to the most acres harvested for the least amount of money.

oleclint
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good for you, Delta. Your bottom line will look very good at the end of the year. I like your way of doing things. I felt about the same when I went from a 4 row 105 to a 6 row 7700 hydro. clint

1923 Gleaner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Straw Boss wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:06:00 11/28/12) For some farmers who have their bills paid, its just good buisness to trade every year. New machine 300,000. Trade in used one season 250,000. Boot difference 50,000. Divided by acres harvested of 3,500 = cost of 14.3 dollars per acre or 2.5 bu of corn. You can't hire it done for that. You can take fast depreciation on the boot, you have no maintainance costs, no repair costs, and biggest benefit for these guys, no down time.
Second biggest benefit is less hired labor which in todays world is huge. We're easily harvesting with one machine what we used to do with three just a couple decades ago. Good farm help is near non existant in some areas. Other benefits are you get the latest technology, latest in fuel efficiency, latest in gps/computer/auto-steer/mapping software, latest in options like tracks, folding unload augers, electric folding bin extensions, fridge, heated seats etc.
Some of this sounds over the top but remember these guys run sun up to sun down and longer just like the little farmers. Harvest is harvest and the crop needs to be in the bin no matter the size of your farm. Its all comes down to the most acres harvested for the least amount of money.

Thanks for explaining this to these guys. I was starting to feel ashamed of my new S-77 Gleaner. After years of putting up with "fair weather" custom harvesters I wonder why I didn't go with new combines years ago. Get the crop harvested on time, still have equity after the job is done, and run machinery with a warranty. My city cousin is one of those jealous types who ask why I traded for a new machine, I told him "cause I can". Sure pizzed him off! Very Happy He doesn't understand farming, he's a union man.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL, thanks for the laugh---6000 acres with a 4 row head! You wouldn't get done by next Spring! Don't be waiting for the opportunity, just keep your day job.

usetob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice, dream on!

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eighteen rows is half of a 36 row planter swath. A farmer with a 36 row planter usually has two 12 row combines and if he is really pushing the acres through the 36 row planter he might need more harvesting capacity than the two 12 row machines can handle. Replacing one of the 12's with an 18 might make sense. There are farmers in this area in NWIA who do farm that much land and will buy a combine that size. Lexion has had a combine with that capacity for several years now but as far as I know they 'only' offered a 16 row head. Jim

Straw Boss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Combine!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But lets be truthful...because I can...might be your answer to
him but truth is....because I should....is more accurate.
A cost per acre analysis will always dictate the decision.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.