Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling 611b steering wheel?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genos
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Pulling 611b steering wheel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trying to pull steering wheel on 611b row crop, has plastic covered wheel 1 wide spoke. is this shaft tapered, got nut off, anyone got one of these off without destroying steering wheel? i am trying to get the shaft out to replace both shaft bushings, looks like i will have to take the framework under battery loose & tilt it back to get shaft out from bottom, has 2 U-joints before you get to char-lyn steering motor,
U-joints don,t seem to come off shafts. anyone out there that,s done this before? Thanks Gene

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling 611b steering wheel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Genos wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:33:16 11/28/12) Trying to pull steering wheel on 611b row crop, has plastic covered wheel 1 wide spoke. is this shaft tapered, got nut off, anyone got one of these off without destroying steering wheel? i am trying to get the shaft out to replace both shaft bushings, looks like i will have to take the framework under battery loose & tilt it back to get shaft out from bottom, has 2 U-joints before you get to char-lyn steering motor,
U-joints don,t seem to come off shafts. anyone out there that,s done this before? Thanks Gene

The steering wheel probably needs a tap or two to come off. The U-joints come off pretty easy. The one closest to the steering wheel is just keyed. The other is most likely pinned on the shaft.

Joe (Wa)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling 611b steering wheel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the steering wheel looks like the top pic it is a 1958 with woodruff key shaft.

If like other pic it is a 1959 with a splined shaft.

I think both are tapered but the old geezer memory isn't so good.

If you have the time soak with PB Blaster or similiar. Bump the wheel both ways to break it loose.

BTW these are 300 & 300B pics but the 600B are the same configuration.

Joe

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling 611b steering wheel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joe is that a 3/8" breaker bar for a throttle lever in the bottom pic? I like it cnt

Joe (Wa)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling 611b steering wheel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup, Tom that is a 3/8 snap-on breaker. When I bought the tractor it had the original? factory vicegrips on the shaft. I silver soldered a 3/8 extension female end on the shaft and had a removable handle. It's probably rusted on for life now. I later picked-up a good handle like the 310 above. Still haven't put it on there. Maybe next summer.

Joe

Joe Young
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 611b steering wheel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gene

The universal joint yokes are not removable from the shaft, so the steering wheel must come off to replace the bushings in the steering column.

Once the wheel is removed, you will need to disconnect the rod at the power steering torque motor (roll pin and woodruff key), disconnect the support bracket (p.n. G1284), and remove the 4 bolts that hold the cast steering column to the torque tube (Be careful not to twist-off the front two bolts. They are long (about 5") bolts, and it can be challenging to get a grip on the bolt head since it is recessed into the casting. Particularly if the bolt head is corroded). That will allow you to tip the steering column aft far enough to remove the steering shaft(s) forward. It is not necessary to remove all the wires and cables going to the dash, but it does make things easier. You do not need to split any of the universal joints to get the shaft out of the steering column, although with them out, it may be a good time to replace any worn u-joints...

Good luck with the wheel removal. They can be a bugger, and it's the most challenging part of this job. Worst case scenario is you get a nice shiny new steering wheel.... I've pulled several of them successfully, but have broken a couple during the removal process.

Note in the diagram below, the right pic shows the 1958 model with the keyed shaft, and the left shows the 1959 model with the tapered shaft.

Genos
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling 611b steering wheel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Joe! i guess we were thinking the correct way to get the shaft out, now to get steering wheeel off, i have pulled quit a few steering wheels, but was not saving them on tractors i restored, but this is a working tractor. even pulled one on a J.D. B and when it came off the wheel, the puller and me went off back of tractor. Thanks for your info Gene

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.