Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Engine oil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Un

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What weight engine oil should I use in a 560 gasser

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here we go again, you will get many different suggestions. I run 15W40 Delvac or Rotella in everything.

MN Scott
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Low ash 30W. The low ash is critical for valve life.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most any oil is just fine other then a non-detergent oil. Now days there is only a bout 4 or 5 companies that make oils and even Wal-Mart oil is Valvoline which is a top brand oil

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey old, was rooting for you on the powerball.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the gasser I H tractors it is in your best interest to run a LOW ASH oil and A diesel engine oil is NOT a low ash oil. The reason for the low ash oil is so that you do not build up deposits on the exhaust valves as if it does even start to build up it WILL TORCH a exhaust valve so fast it will make your head spin . Myself and all my friends use the low ash in our gas tractors and we run and approved Diesel oil in the diesels . Many years back we fought the burnt exhaust vale problem thing left and right and nomatter what we did we plum ate exhaust valves , Till one day i was talking to and old time I H dealer at a sale and Clyde told me to talk to this guy Bob from Marion In. as he also was and OLD I H dealer he and his brothers ran the dealereship and Bob ran the service dept. So i called Bob and he and i talked for three hours and he told me that when the 460-560 came out they had a bad time with the exhaust valves and I H engineers worked on this and found it was ASH deposit that came from the oil and the came up with this LOW ash oil to be used in ALL gas tractors to stop this. We changed and in the last 20 years we HAVE not HAD A VALVE PROBLEM since we switched . We run the Case I H low ash 30 weight year round in the gas tractors and Case I H # 1 Diesel in the diesel tractor in the 30 weight year round . and in the New holland skid steer and the Dodge Cummins trucks we run the Case I H # 1 in a 15 40 in them. Yes we have three different oils at the farm . and we do not have a problem as i do not get my rocks off pulling engines down to try and save a buck here or there on oil or fuel.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Didn't even buy one since the jack pot if up so high is when so many buy so the odds go way down that any one person will win LOL Your more likely to get hit by lighting then to win the power ball LOL

John G. Hasler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> Wal-Mart oil is Valvoline which is a top brand oil

Careful. It may not be the same stuff Valvoline sells directly. Wal-Mart buys in enough volume to make it cost-effective for manufacturers to produce stuff that just meets Wal-Mart"s specifications, which are written with their motto in mind.

Un

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So Is rotella a low ash? Just repaired head for a burnt exh valve. Don't know what previous e owner used, something like Schaffer oil.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NO

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, it is.
Click here

rufus80
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree, says right on the back of the jug.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can go with the Rotella, the low ash argument is invalid.

CenTex Farmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The new CJ-4 spec oils for the newer low emission diesels are in fact low ash oils. It's part of the required specs to be called CJ-4. The older CI-4 spec had higher ash.

Any of the newer 15-40 diesel oils that are ok for "low emission" (i.e. Rotella T triple protection or Delo 400 LE) are fine for gas engine use and are designed to be used in mixed fleets.

Tractor Vet is right in that the older diesel oils (CI-4) were high ash, but the new CJ-4 spec is low ash.
From Shell

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The low ash oil depends on what additives have been reduced or eleminated. The gasoline engine oils developed for IH engines are low in or have totally eleminated calcium, barium and magnesium. So, you can have a low ash oil but still not be the correct oil. I don't know if the newest diesel oil qualify or not but I do know that the IH low ash greatly reduced the residue left on pistons, valves and spark plugs.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters