Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIG wire feed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bus Driver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Century MIG welder, about 20 years old. 120 volts, 110 amps. Light duty but at times it does the most beautiful work. Gas with non-flux wire.
The wire feed at times is jumpy. I lubed with silicone the wire spool spindle. All looks fine with the feed mechanism. The wire is not rusty. It has the original Tweco gun. This welder has used since new less than 60 pounds of 0.023 wire, so that is light use indeed. Could it be that the liner in the gun tube/hose needs some kind of lube? And if that can be lubed, what is the best lube?

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never ever, for any reason use lube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First thing I would do is disconnect the gun from the feeder. Remove the contact tip, take the end of the gun that goes into the feeder, and place it on your oxygen bottle with no gauge, and blow the liner out. Re-assemble everything and try it. If it still gives you problems replace the liner.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't they sell a lub for migs? Don't they make a gismo that goes over the wire and acts like a dust remover and doesn't it have a little lub on it?

I bought a used mig from a body shop and it was full of dust, wire was rusted, the roller feed was set for .030. I had a diffucult pulling the wire out of it, things inside were so dirty.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you really suggesting he apply 2000# of pure
oxygen pressure to a liner? Sounds like a good wat
to end up dead or maimed.

NCWayne
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like thew previous post said, a dirty liner can cause problems like your describing. Another thing I've found that can cause problems is a piece of weld spatter that has gotten into the contact tip. It will cause the wire to stutter past it when things get just right. Try changing the contact tip and see if that helps. Another thing is that the feed rollers may not be tight enough. Too some machines have V notched feed rollers and if they become packed with dirt, etc they will often slip and cause a stutter also. To help prevent that, if your not already doing it, try getting some of the cleaning pads for the wire that clip onto it between the spool and the feed rollers. You'd be amazed how much crap they will take off the wire. Good luck.

NCWayne
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hole in the bottle is 3/4 inches in diameter, the liner maybe 3/16 to 1/4 inches in diameter so the two won't mate up tight. As a result all doing wehat Puddles is suggesting will do is provide a blast of oxygen through the liner to clean out any buildup. Due to the difference in size it won't build any massive amounts of pressure like your thinking it will.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George March, yes they do, but don't use them. If anything use an old ear plug, with no lube.

jon f mn, I've been doing it that way since I was about 16-years old. Never one problem. In fact when I was running welding crews I would have them knock off early every Friday to blow out the Lincoln K-126 guns, because in those day the liners were not replaceable, and the guns were pushing $300.00 a pop.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All my welders get a piece of felt folded over the wire and held on with one of those wide metal paper clips. I put a little oil on it, mostly to attract the dust and dirt on the wire. It works good for me. I don't think it does anything as far as lube, there is not enough on there for that. All the Miller welders I bought new came with that in them. Not in the Lincolns tho.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jon believe it or not this is not my first rodeo when it comes to welding. Wink
Not sure why anybody would deliberately place oil or any type of lube on welding wire. Just think about this for a minute! Ever hear of the term porosity?

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why, after 20+ years in the business, yes I have
heard of it. But I've never had an issue with it.
It's what the new miller welders I bought
recommended so that's what I do. I don't soak the
pad just put a little on it. It's been working for
many many rolls of wire and I don't have any
intention of changing now.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, he did say to put the gun up to it and that would mate pretty well. 2000# of pressure would blow anything there right into the skin, not to mention all the other bad things it could do. Also oxygen is known to cause things to explode that otherwise would not. This actually surprises me because it's usually me getting called for being unsafe. lol

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5 or 6 years ago this same discussion came up on the Miller board. Things got out of hand as they normally do on that site. Andy the moderator for Miller stepped in and said the same thing as the majority of the members, NEVER USE LUBE ON THE WIRE!

But if you've been doing it for 20-years, have at it. Just one question, how much code work do you do?

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a clothes pin to hold the pad in place, and a drop of oil on it. Salesman must have told me that, I know I didn't think of it myself.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

None, but then people on here are not doing code
work either. How many John Deere front fold corn
planters have you welded back together after the
broke in half in the field? How many vibrating
cable plow gear boxes have you welded back
together after they fell off a trailer at 60 mph?
How many trailers have you designed and fabricated
with just a list of needs from a customer? I've
done all these and many more, and never had any
official welding training, I just learned from a
old blacksmith and by doing.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG wire feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jon this is what I did for a living. Standing under a 8 to 20-ton pile driving hammer all day while driving 200-feet long concrete pile. Driving anywhere from 4 to 20 piles a day. So holding a wire feed gun up to an oxygen bottle, wouldn't even raise an eyebrow for me or the guys I worked with. Wink

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.