Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

elec auger motor question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 11'x5" utility/grain auger. they put a 1hp "induction motor"on it. 115V. Is this the correct motor for an auger? It has no power, as soon as the auger starts to take in soybeans, it will stall and not start, just hum. Even with the auger out, on the ground level, but full of beans, it will not start. I had the fleet store assemble the auger, and they put the motor on apparently that it should have. I been taking heavy corn out of bins all week that have 1hp motors on 6"x12-14' augers, one with quite an incline, and they have plant of torque and start no issues full of grain. Should I take back and ask them to put a diiferent type of motor on it?

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cream separators were a hard start-up machine. They had induction-repulsion motors.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the rpm rating of the motor? It should be on the plate or decal on the motor. You do not want 3600 rpm.

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you limit the amount of beans going into it?

It may need to get polished up a bit before you let it run full.

Also beans pull harder than corn in an auger.

gary

Dave from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1750rpm

Dave from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not really. It is an auger that needs to go into the hole in the door, in a bin that has no auger in it. Most people say to just start it, and let it auger itself in. I need to get the bin unloaded, as I have a contract due. Maybe I should borrow a grain vac?

olarryfrommaryland

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The one thing i have found is the moter wired wrong where the cord is attached. Its very common to see a 110 cord wired 220 into the moter,and the oppisite is just as common. Beans do pull hard in a new auger, but a 1hp should pull it.

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry might have something- check the wireing. We had a similar issue with a motor we ended up putting on an elevator. Wouldn't work all to well and had no power. Dad plugged it into a 220 outlet and it hasn't looked back since. For this motor, it was the easier way to go as the diagram inside the cover was rubbed off, and I couldn't find the right info online.

Donovan from Wisconsin

ss55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be the motor or it could be the auger. Can you turn the auger by hand with two hands on the big pulley when the motor stalls? What is the belt ratio of the pulleys? Is the motor accidentally wired for 230 volts instead of 115?

1hp x 5252 / 1750 rpm = 3.00 foot-pounds of torque at the motor shaft

If you have a 2 inch diameter pulley on the motor: 3.00 ft-lb x 12 inch/foot / 1 inch pulley radius = 36 pounds of pull on the belt.

Dave from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2" pulley on motor, about a 10" at the biggest on the auger. I did wire the motor, as best as I could decipher from label. It seems to run fine until it gets partially loaded. I can turn by hand.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5" is a pretty big auger for a 1hp motor. But, I have feed augers on flex auger, much longer on 11', moving ground feed, not beans. 1hp is too much power for 115v IMHO too. I would probably verify that it needs 220v to get the job done. You would need at least 20 amps at 115v and you should have 25% reserve so you don't kick the breaker.

andy r

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same problem. 6" auger - 12 foot long. Put a 115 volt one horse power electric motor on it and it would just humm. Same motor runs a flat six inch unload tube in other bins just fine. My problems were: 1) Too much auger exposed at the bottom. 2) Too much voltage drop running electricity across the farm to this one particular bin. 3) Too much of an angle. 4) Couldn't reduce any kind of flow with a slide gate. So, I took the screw out of the auger and put the right direction in to run with the PTO of a tractor. Works great. Tractor sits there at idle and does the job. Proper shielding is in place.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

240 motor on 120 has the torque reduced to 1/4 of nameplate
valve.
Certainly sounds like low voltage and/or too large of a motor
pulley and too small auger picture.

boler76
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: elec auger motor question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what size and length is your extension cord, should be larger wire for longer cord, minimum #14 and better #12 or #10, If the cord is too long or too small the motor will start unloaded but not have enough voltage to run loaded, Motors get burned up due to the cords being too long or too small

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.