Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loader tractor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob seND
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking for a 70-90 horse gas tractor, could be used on loader in winter, baler, drill, planter in summer.
Prefer 1655 oliver, but considering 1650 Oliver, 1800 Oliver, 7700 Ford. I'm interested in comments and recommendations about the above or other tractors similar in size. I"d also be interested in recommendations for a relatively light-weight, but quick-tach loader for the above.

Loader tractor

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not positive but I think an Oliver 1800 only has power assist and not full power steering. I know someone with an 1800 and I think they said it's harder to steer when stopped. Not sure about about the 1650 or 1655. A 7700 Ford is quite a bit newer.

flying belgian
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never owned one but from what I know you will never go wrong with a 1655 Oliver. My father inlaw farmed with one for many years and took real good care of it and never had one bit of trouble with it. His was a gas and he did all his heavy tillage with it. Also my friend on a dairy farm had a gas 1655 and used it hard and rough and he also had excellent luck with his. He did have a problem with the carb. once and I went threw it and he never had any more trouble. Oh and I replaced a bent valve on it once and had the head done for him. but that was miner as he had about a million hard hours on that thing. Find a 1655 Oliver and you will be getting one of the best tractors ever built bar none.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a gas 4020 Deere powershift with a 3100 DuAl loader. NOT pretty or late model, or high-tech, but it can really make stuff happen!

Robert Major
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi
I Don't think there was any 7700 fords with a gas motor 7000 might be the last.
With the rises in gas prices in the last few years I would spend a bit extra if you could on a diesel.
It won't take long to get the money back on fuel savings if gas hits $3.50 or $4 a gallon or more again.
My diesel Major uses 2 and a bit tanks of fuel a year cutting grass.
My gas major uses half a tank getting hot and off choke and driving round the yard.
Also you might have more chance of selling a diesel if you ever needed to. I think the gas tractor market is dropping pretty fast because of running costs.
Regards Robert

C.R.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my 1655 is a handy unit it has a farmhand loader and does all i ask of it I only wish the tires were in better shape

ohiojim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

in that class tractor why not go diesel ????

thurlow
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4020 gas w/46A JD loader; 5 minutes or less to remove/install loader. Loader is somewhat lighter than others of the era, but will easily handle 1500-2000# bales, etc.

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I love my 1655 diesel. Always a good starter and handy as another thumb!
Larry NEIL

Vernon in Ks
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 72 1655 diesel with Westendorf TA-26 loader that is the handiest tractor I own. Big enough to do most jobs around the farm and small enough to get in there.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 6610 Ford with Westendorf TA26 loader. It will outlift and outmanuver the 4020 with a loader on it.

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I gather from the name you are in North Dakota, and I guess that really makes a difference. To even think about a 20 year old OLIVER in this part of the country would be fatal. Folks shy away from them because I guess there was just never that many sold in this part of the country.
We just don,t se many loaders on 2 wheel tractors. Market is pretty well moved to 4 wheel tractors when a loader is mounted. Good luck with your oliver. O If I see one lurking around I will give you a tick they can be bought for near nothing when they do show up in this part of the country.

Bill(Wis)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zippo Gasser would light right off, every time, first try. The guy lives in North Dakota and he wants a loader tractor he can use every day in winter. The only way to do that reliably with a diesel is to let it run all winter, which is what the germans did on the eastern front in WWII (The Big One). They let their engines run from November thru March.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

7700 Ford would be a good choice, but it was only available as a diesel. Same with the 7000 that someone else mentioned. The 5000 and 6600 were the biggest gassers Ford offered, at 67 h.p. (late 5000...earlier ones with the smaller engine were 57 h.p.) and 70 h.p., respectively.
I have a Westendorf TA26 on my Ford 4600, and it's great. Would easily fit a 5000/6600.
I have a project 5000 that I'm swapping a gas engine into...but I'm in n/w WI, and probably too far away...

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Loader tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a Dunham/Du-al on a 1600 gas. Couldn't imagine a better loader tractor for everyday use feeding cattle. I traded a 3010 with an International 2001 loader even money for it 12 years ago. Been doing the happy dance every since.
1650-1655,you'll never,ever be sorry.Best Oliver models ever made for any job,especially as a loader tractor. Full frame,so when you take the clutch out,and you will eventually with any loader tractor,you won't have to split the tractor to change it. The HydraPower is super nice for changing speed when loading,weight and traction couldn't be better.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.