Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel tank reserve

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcurley000
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The manual for my 8N says it has a reserve tank. How does it work?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Simple. You open the sediment bowl valve 2 turns and it is on normal open it all the way and it is on reserve if it has the factory sediment bowl assembly on it that is

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, it does not have a reserve tank.

The tank holds 10 gallons.

If you open the sediment bowl valve 2 turns (no more, no less) as the manual says, it will provide 9 gallons of gas. If you want to get that extra (reserve) gallon, open the valve all the way.

All of this assumes:

1. You have the OEM style sediment bowl.
2. The lower orifice on the sediment bowl standpipe is not clogged (and they usually are).

The OEM bowl is on the left in the pic. The others are off-shore junk.

75 Tips

wcurley000
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you Burce & Old. My manual does not say anything about how to set the reserve using the valve. I also have a Jubilee it has the round valve handle. My 8n has the lever. I have never moved it and have been runnig out of gas with about 1.5 inches of gas in the tank. Thanks again.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" My 8n has the lever."

As old & I both said.......it needs to be the OEM sediment bowl to have a reserve.

Look at the picture.

The OEM bowl has a knob, not a lever.
75 Tips

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have that 1-2 inches of gas in the bottom of the tank that means the reserve is working as it should or the reserve part of the sediment bowl is clogged up which happen often

Caryc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wcurley000 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:15:57 12/02/12) Thank you Burce & Old. My manual does not say anything about how to set the reserve using the valve. I also have a Jubilee it has the round valve handle. My 8n has the lever. I have never moved it and have been runnig out of gas with about 1.5 inches of gas in the tank. Thanks again.

I have never moved it

Does this mean you never shut off the fuel supply?

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" Does this mean you never shut off the fuel supply? "

Excellent point.

Tip # 9.
75 Tips

flembo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the sedement bowl he refers to is the one shown this one was off a 46 2n also shown in the original service manual

flembo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wcurlyoo if you look close at your sedement bowl you should be able to make out the R for reserve and M for main turn handle to point to left for reserve or right for main that is if your bowl is in act the same as I have pictured

flembo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh and straight down is off you should get in the habit off of turning it off

GO FIGGER, John,PA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Consider this..........10 gal of gas.
When she spits at YA.........start heading to the "barn". Approx. 45 min, she should know what STALL was YOURS. NIGHT OWL.

GARFIELD

Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce (VA) wrote:

The OEM bowl is on the left in the pic. The others are off-shore junk.

Question for you Bruce: Where can I get a new sediment bowl that's not junk? I got one from the "other" 8N parts website, and it's junk. But the valve stem is wrecked on my original...

-Paul

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a couple of good ones from Just8N's. I've heard YT has good ones too.
75 Tips

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank reserve Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be.

It's possible he has a 9N/2N bowl on an 8N.
75 Tips

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.