Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In search of a good machinist.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flewster
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: In search of a good machinist. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am getting ready to start producing an item that I need a good quality machinist for. What I am needing specifically is this. I have a 12" piece of sch 40 1/2" stainless steel pipe that I need 8 holes drilled in and tapped to 1/4" NPT. They have to be straight and evenly spaced so that I can ad a series of valves to it. I tried and I am not good at all at doing it and was hoping that someone could do it on here. I am willing to pay of course and will pay for shipping both ways. IF your interested and can do the job properly let me know at wayne at johnwaynehoney dot com.

Thank you

johnpop1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a good machinist. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it was me, I would try to avoid tapping hole, at least tapping 1/4 pipe holes in your 1/2 pipe. The main reason it not that it cannot be easily done but that it simply will NOT seal at the threads. I have tried it. Even a flat surface that is tapped to 1/4 pipe might have a difficult time sealing with the material thickness offered with sch40 pipe. I would suggest having someone welding 1/2 couplings (weldelets) to the pipe and then inserting the valves. I doubt that you will ever be able to insert so many valves in such a short distance because you will never be able to turn them into the holes.

Bud in WV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: In search of a good machinist. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd try this - not cheap but it'd work. You'll need a good SS pipe welder in any case. Make a jig to hold stuff in alignment while it's being welded.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Threadolet-4HWF3

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: In search of a good machinist. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello flewster,
How about drilling holes in the pipe, and using saddle clamp valve.
The kind that is used to tap a copper pipe for a refrigerator water filter?
You did not say how much pressure though, so maybe it won't work for you.
Guido.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.