Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4020 joy stick loader

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Keller
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: 4020 joy stick loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have added a joy stick for my 158 loader on my early 4020 power shift. Works great. Tapped in at the discharge below the break peddle ran through a closed valve then back to the filter cover. The set up works great but I have a question.
Should I put a flow valve between the discharge and the valve?
Two things have happened. One the hydraulic pressure does not come up to operating pressure even at operating rpm. And two the tractor seems to be harder to start. I have read where a internal hydraulic leak can cause added pressure on the system and make the tractor turn over slower. I also have converted to 12 volt which I know does not help.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 joy stick loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check for flow when the loader control valve is in neutral. Odds are the joystick valve is either open centre, failed an o'ring or has a relief valve set below 2400psi.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 joy stick loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buickanddeere wrote:
(reply to post at 15:25:13 12/02/12)

b&d pretty much summed it up. Disconnect the return hose and with JS in neutral no oil should flow out return hose with engine running.

Steve Keller
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 joy stick loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I will do just that. I used a new Prince 25 gpm loader
valve that is naturally open but is sold with a plug that i
thought was supposed to make it closed. I ordered it that way
and the plug was installed before delivery. Also I looked it up
and the preset relief is at 2000 psi but can be set up to 3000.
Should I make that change before checking the flow?

MSM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 joy stick loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Set the relief first, if it is opening at 2000 psi on a 2250-2400psi system there is your problem. With it bleeding off pressure the tractor will crank slow and your loader functions will be slow

Steve Keller
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 joy stick loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 joy stick loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your issue is the pressure relief, crank it all the way down. The JD tries to make 2250 PSI, so it is doing all it can.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 joy stick loader Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I have put a lot of these on and the relief valve that is built into the newly installed valve is set to about 1800psi, this needs to be screwed all the way in tight, it is not pessary with the Deere system, while it is bypassing it is also heating up the oil..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.