Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear wheel popping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby 9891
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 49 "C" NF & the rear wheels make a popping noise when the tractor has side to side movement. Looks like the movement is between the wheel & hub - I can"t tighten them any more. Some of the bolt heads are flush with the wedge. Just wondering if it has the right wedges for that wheel ??

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Each wheel is supposed to have two like the one in the photo, which are fitted in adjacent holes. To tighten the rim move the tractor so that the two wedges like the one in the photo are on the lower half of the wheel, turn the bolt heads on the other two wedges clockwise as far as possible with a wrench(which should tighten the wedges against the rim) then hold the bolt there with a wrench and tighten the nut. The two wedges on top have eccentric bolts in them which look like a cam on a camshaft in an engine and allow for tightening and loosening of the wedges.
Zach

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if the clamps are worn or not enough adjustment, you can add a piece of shim stock in the VEE between the clamp and the rim.. about an inch above your finger in the photo. Two of the locks are stationary (your finger is one one of them). The other two turn on a cam as mentioned. Loosen those two and shove a .030 shim between the rim and the clamp and retighten. Might need two shims.

Bobby 9891
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks - I had 1 bolt on each wheel somewhat loose. I snuged them down best as I could - still some slack between the wheel & hub. I guess I should try shimming them - I really don't like that little bit of movement !!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you sure you have the 2 non-cam wedges.bolts side by side and the cammed ones side by side and tight??. If you have the 2 sets in the wrong places you will never get them to stay tight and one day the rim will fall off. By the way guess how I learned that one

Bobby 9891
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes the cam lock wedges are across from each other & one wheel has 3 cam locks - looks like they welded some extra stops on the wheel to fit that wedge on ! Iwas told the wheel could fall off & believe me I don't want to experience that like some people do !!! Should I use a impact to tighten or hand only ? I was afraid to use the impact for fear of breaking the bolts off !

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cam locks should be side by side not across from each other. If you have the wheel this way the cam locks should be #1 at 12 o'clock and the next one at the 3 then the non-cam ones at 6 and 9 NEVER top and bottom or 3 and 9

Bobby 9891
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cam locks are across from each other 3 & 9 And the other wheel only has one cam lock ! I guess thats why I cant keep them tight. Thanks OLD I'll change them up !! Will the bolts stand up to a impact or hand tighten only ??

dakota dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cam locks have a cross on the head. When the long arm of the cross points to the rim that is as tight as it will go. They must be held in place and the nuts tightened on the back side. Its pretty hard to get an impact in there. you wont break the bolt with an impact. Also check the two stationary locks to make sure thier not loose. one of the straight locks must be between the drive lugs like you have in the photo.

Bobby 9891
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks - tomorrow I'll change them around.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel popping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use my impact gun on them due to the fact they do over time rust up and are next to impossible to free up

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.