Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vac-14 distributor wore out?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmducks1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has alot of play in distributor shaft. Are bushings available? Can I avoid this and put electronic ignition in it? Where should I buy it from and how much does it cost?

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I rebushed a distributor many moons ago so it can be done.

As for electronic ignition, you can convert to EI with a Pertronix system but it uses your existing distributor case and you replace points condenser, rotor so that won't help you any if you have shaft. It works well too BTW and is pretty easy to do.

Jim

mattwillson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you have a metal lathe, just turn down a base on a chrysler electronic unit...I run one on my farmall m and my tow motor. works great

jmducks1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What model dist. fits into the autolite from a chrysler? What about the length and the end?Does the cap stay the same, what about coil 12v non resistor or what kind? Sound like a great idea.

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jmducks1 wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:36:44 12/02/12) What model dist. fits into the autolite from a chrysler? What about the length and the end?Does the cap stay the same, what about coil 12v non resistor or what kind? Sound like a great idea.

I did the same thing with the Delco mag replacer only I used a 4 cyl Chevette HEI short cap distributor for our puller DC. Turned the base to match the old dist. and slid the drive gear on and with the thin thrust washers off the old distributor the roll pin hole was even right. I did remove the vacuum advance and made the pickup plate stationary and did work on the advance weights to increase the mechanical advance for pulling. Very trouble free distributor.

The old distributor you are using is just fine with the loose shaft if the weights and springs are otherwise good. The loose shaft makes it impossible to hold points adjustment. The pertronics unit uses a magnet ring and pickup module and precise does not matter with this setup, that is one thing attractive about Pertronics. I have used many in stock and performance applications and all work well if the rest of the tractor system is up to par.

For those of you that use MSD boxes for pulling applications the wide cap spacings are almost a necessity as with extreme high compression engines such as we use in pulling the spark will jump from the tower down to the clips holding the cap on. Once this happens the cap is junk. Don't ask me how I know!!

mEl

jmducks1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Who sells the petronix at the best price and how much? Would electronic help a distributor with a shaft that has some play in it? Tractor runs fine just had to readjust points more often..

Jim McVay
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem. The bushings are not the problem. It is where the top shaft oes into the lower shaft. I found a delco dustributor out of a 600B. That would be my sugestion to do.

jmducks1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks alot is the 600B a direct fit or does it take some extra work? Cap the same?

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No. the Delco takes a different cap. It is a drop in tho otherwise.

If you're still thinking bout it the Pertronics is listed under VAC parts on this site. upper corner under marketplace, tractor parts. Gotta know the volts and polarity.

mEl

jmducks1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: vac-14 distributor wore out? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THanks alot. what is the going price for a 600B dist. Does anyone have one?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.