Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD B problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCrutt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: JD B problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1950 JD B Poof"s out smoke by the clutch and blows valve cover gasket out at the same time. All vents have been removed and cleaned, it"s getting very annoying. Run"s great. Looking for idea"s. Ventilator pump issue?

Doug Sr.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: JD B problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You may have broke or stuck piston rings.
Doug

F-I-T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: JD B problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JCrutt wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:48:44 12/02/12) My 1950 JD B Poof"s out smoke by the clutch and blows valve cover gasket out at the same time. All vents have been removed and cleaned, it"s getting very annoying. Run"s great. Looking for idea"s. Ventilator pump issue?

Sorry, I got interrupted, so I'll edit my typos now...

Could be that the vent pump is not working properly, and that is allowing fuel vapors to collect in the crankcase, and a poof that is strong enough to blow the valve cover gasket out of position is actually an explosion.

Take the oil fill cap off and lay a playing card over the pipe. If it sucks down a bit, the pump is working. Keep your face away in case she poofs while you are testing.

Last edited by F-I-T on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark-Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: JD B problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does it have gas in the oil?

JCrutt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: JD B problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always shut gas off.
I will perform that check.
I do have a weak cylinder that leaks a little oil when I open peck cocks, and she does smoke lightly. But I have seen others like this and don"t have this problem.
It will do it even when I leave fill cap loose.
It runs so good is what has me stumped. I can win slow trator races every time. And even tho they are close in HP it gives my Brothern laws 50 a run for it"s money pulling. We take turns beating each other at tractor pull"s.
One of the gutiest B"s I have ever worked.

JCrutt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: JD B problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok thanks I will ck that. I wondered how to test it.

JCrutt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: JD B problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Doug, I considered that but the good power has lead me to put that idea on back burner for now.
Thanks for the imput. Basic mechanical tests and inspections show good. As diesel mechanic is why it has me stumped and I realy don't understand how the vent pump is supposed to work. I want to cover everything else before I do a tear down. I've never seen a 2cyl do this.

F-I-T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: JD B problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JCrutt wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:41:31 12/02/12) Doug, I considered that but the good power has lead me to put that idea on back burner for now.
Thanks for the imput. Basic mechanical tests and inspections show good. As diesel mechanic is why it has me stumped and I realy don't understand how the vent pump is supposed to work. I want to cover everything else before I do a tear down. I've never seen a 2cyl do this.

You ought to get a current hot compression check as well, in case the cylinder that is in not too good shape is really worse than you think.
The vent pump sits at the base of the fanshaft, governor end, and depending on the model year, is either a rotary vane or roller pump, so it pushes air into the crankcase anytime the engine is turning and the fan is spinning. Depending on the model year...and I'm guessing on your S/N, clean air is drawn from the air cleaner down the fanshaft tube, pumped into the governor, to the crankcase, and it crawls forward to the valve cover, where it is exhausted via pipe to the carb intake elbow to re-burn any nasty fumes. Later models had a separate inlet pipe.

Had an "A" one time the pump vane seized, as many do, and it would suck gobs of oil into the carb. Quick fix was to drill a small hole in the side of the fill pipe nipple until you could get around to pulling the fanshaft.

Last edited by F-I-T on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.