Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall super h lights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Junior
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a early 1953 Farmall Super H Battery under the gas tank. i bought the tractor almost restored. My question is what type of lights does it take pancake or tear drop? I want to put it at 100 percent orginal.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine has the sealed beam lights and it is a 53 .

Denny ('60 Lo-Boy)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pancake sealed beams.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IH switched from teardrops to pancake lights during 1953.

It's my understanding that early Super H's would have teardrops, and late ones would have pancakes. The change may have even coincided with the serial number break for Stage II (19234).

53 super H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 53 that came out with sealed beams but was switched over to the bulb type because the sealed beams wouldn't last very long.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If made earlier than march of 53 or maybe part of march there is a chance it may of had the teardrop. Not many made before then. March after flatback.

gab
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think my Super C parts book lists the date or serial no. when the sealed beams started. Mines a 53 with April casting codes I think. It's supposed to have flat lights.

gab
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think my Super C parts book lists the date or serial no. when the sealed beams started. Mines a 53 with April casting codes I think. It's supposed to have flat lights.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Early or before official production picture.

jbp
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have my dads Farmall Cub and the original sale bill dated 4-4-53 and it has sealed beams. Joe

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put the pancake on there and avoid the CP bugging you.

53 super H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The serial # on my super H is 2468 and it had sealed beams. Can you find the production date by the serial number?

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, your tractor was made in february 53. Thats why I put maybe and a chance in my other post. No hard info that I no of on a SH change. Pretty sure after sometime in march they were all flatback and some before that. Besides the picture I posted with the teardrop lights that could be from IH before the tractors went into regular production, there's some other old ones around that show some teardrop SH tractors in farmers hands. Think IH made the decision in 1952 to change the lights. Times when they started showing up on tractors was different. Like the other poster said the super C has a serial number break in jan. 53. SM tractors later than that.
Late H tractors and Some SH tractors were built the same month. Late H parts book shows the flatback lights and a part #. But if you look at the wire harness it only shows a light harness for the teardrop. That could be questioned because some other real late H parts don't show up without looking from several directions.
I don't know enough to argue for sure one way or the other with a person that says his lights are original on a early one. Thats why I say a chance for both ways.

dstates
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D Slater wrote:
(reply to post at 06:54:09 12/04/12)

I have a H made in Feb of 52 (SN 377xxx) and it has the flat back lights. I guess there is a chance they were added later, but I'll never know that.

NoNewParts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall super h lights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my early Super H has flatbacks
serial no 7***
casting codes
4 16 Y
4 23 Y

Last edited by NoNewParts on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.