Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling compressor repairmen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Molden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got an Ingersol Rand 80 gal 5 hp compressor that I bought @ Tractor Supply about 7 years ago. Up to this weekend it has done everything I've needed & never given me a minutes problem. Saturday I turned it on and it would only build up about 100lbs. pressure. It normally shuts off at somewhere around 150. It just kept running, didn't sound different. I shut it off, drained the air and turned it on again but the same thing. Do these compressor pumps have reeds or valves in them? I shut off the air line comming out of the tank so I know it isn't a broken line anywhere, it's with the compressor. I didn't have time to take the head off it and now am at work 120 miles away & thinking about what could be wrong with it. Any insight would be heaplful. Keith

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a similar problem with my Sanborn. Had a head with reed valves destroy itself. Was able to get a new one that time. Last time I had a head problem, replacements not available. Had to remanufacture the old one. Holding for now... New compressor next time.

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Stanley-Bostich that did the same thing, needed a new valve plate, chances are that's what it is, you could test it with another air source.

Tom N OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one just like that about the same age& it cracked the line from the compressor to the tank right at the check valve at the tank. Took me a while to figure that one out. Reflared the end of the line & put it back together. Has been about a year since & still going strong. HTH

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keith Molden wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:04:18 12/03/12) I've got an Ingersol Rand 80 gal 5 hp compressor that I bought @ Tractor Supply about 7 years ago. Up to this weekend it has done everything I've needed & never given me a minutes problem. Saturday I turned it on and it would only build up about 100lbs. pressure. It normally shuts off at somewhere around 150. It just kept running, didn't sound different. I shut it off, drained the air and turned it on again but the same thing. Do these compressor pumps have reeds or valves in them? I shut off the air line comming out of the tank so I know it isn't a broken line anywhere, it's with the compressor. I didn't have time to take the head off it and now am at work 120 miles away & thinking about what could be wrong with it. Any insight would be heaplful. Keith

Mine did something very similar shortly after I bought it. Didn't have the time to take it back to where I bought it, so I pulled the head, and found a broken reed valve. Measured the thickness of that reed, opend up my feeler gauge set, found one of the same thickness and made a new reed valve. That was a good 15 years ago, and the compressor is still pumping air just like it is supposed to. Some days it runs almost non-stop.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try running it again and see if it stops at 100lbs again. The problem could only be the pressure switch. It controls what pressure level it turns on and off. At 5 hp. make sure you replace it with a heavy duty pressure switch or the new one will only last about two weeks. You can't get one at Granger. The last one I bought I got off ebay.

Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:01:55 12/04/12) Try running it again and see if it stops at 100lbs again. The problem could only be the pressure switch. It controls what pressure level it turns on and off. At 5 hp. make sure you replace it with a heavy duty pressure switch or the new one will only last about two weeks. You can't get one at Granger. The last one I bought I got off ebay.

Or if it is the pressure switch, put a motor starter on it with the new pressure switch. If you do put on a motor starter the new pressure switch will not have to be heavy duty.

Dusty

Keith Molden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's not shutting off @ 100, it continues to run & doesn't build up any more pressure. Thanks to all of you. I've got a call into the Ingersol Rand office in St. Albins, WV to get a price on new reeds. Keith

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. The problem could be the compression rings but being only 7 years old I would expect the problem is some dirt has gotten under one or both flapper valves (#36)in the compressor pump. Sometimes you can just take them out and clean them. This illustration is from my 20 year old Ingersoll-Rand T30 compressor.

Keith Molden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling compressor repairmen Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ordered a valve repair kit today from Ingersol. They sure are proud of their parts, $214.00. But I guess that beats $1,000 for a new compressor and I'll be able to get it going Saturday. Thanks all who replied, sure do appreciate you guys. keith

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.