Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GROUND DRIVEN HAY RAKE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allen L
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: GROUND DRIVEN HAY RAKE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What should I know before I buy a ground driven hay rake? The price for this new one is $950.00 which seems cheap enough but I have heard "you get what you pay for". Thanks in advance for your response.

Tom in TN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GROUND DRIVEN HAY RAKE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Allen,

I have an old New Holland 256 ground driven hay rake. It is bullet-proof, but the cost for a new one was significantly higher than $950.00.

I'm not sure about what you're looking at. Maybe good, maybe not.

Tom in TN

evilboweivel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: GROUND DRIVEN HAY RAKE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

post a picture or a link
sounds way way cheap

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GROUND DRIVEN HAY RAKE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you meaning a Wheel rake??? Some of the narrow ones would be that cheap new. They do OK if you have one that follows the ground fairly well. They need to be set correctly or you will tear up your hay stand and wear the rake wheels out. Post us a picture of the one you are looking at.

Allen L
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: GROUND DRIVEN HAY RAKE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a wheel type rake. It has been on the dealer lot for a while and is faded but never used. I forget the brand name seems like it started with the letter B. It is 3 pt hitch and the salesman said it is adjusted by 3 pt to barely touch ground. my land is pretty flat. Than you all again for the response

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: GROUND DRIVEN HAY RAKE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many wheels? I have a 5 wheel no-name for a backup I got 6 or so years ago. Was under $500 back then new.

I am glad I have it as a backup and it has its place, like it for reaching down over the rough water ditch bank.

But it doesn't do corners at all.

It doesn't do well on windy days.

It doesn't like my heavy swamp grass hay. Or merging fluffy straw windrows. Just not enough clearance below the axles.

Good high dollar vee rakes on wheels with the wheel axle on the back side are good as the pivot at a better place and have double the clearance; these cheaper 3pt models are - cheaper and it shows.

I'm glad I have mine and use it, but sure would not want it to be my only rake. The old nh 55 is a much better all around rake for any condition.

Paul

MSS3020
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: GROUND DRIVEN HAY RAKE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the cheaper version of V rake. Sitrex brand. its a ten wheel and I love it..I love it because it does follow the ground. I have a buddy that has a 3 point 3 wheel.. As stated his biggest grip is the turn arounds and if you go over a slight bump it will miss the row....I might add depends on your ground.. I rake 15-20 acre filds in long rows then make two around the edges to clean up my ends. I have used this rake in smaller fields.. alot harder..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.