Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

850 change over to diesel 860

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: 850 change over to diesel 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have been planning to do it for a year now. With no work scheduled til Jan. we went and got motor and trans out of container and started after lunch yesterday. We got as far as bolting the other trans in place. I had to stop at 4 to pickup my son at school. Will have pictures this afternoon. there was a good bit of sludge in the hyd. reservoir.
When we finish we will take the gas engine and an X61 trans and put it in my 641. Unless I can talk my Brother into swapping the diesel out of the high crop into the 641 and put the gas motor in it. I think we are going to sell it and I think it would sell better the gas motor. Sound like fun to Yall.
Ron

Will Gumbert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 850 change over to diesel 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That sounds like a lot of fun. Post some pictures of the project, will be interesting. -Will

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 850 change over to diesel 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're changing a Gas 850 to a Diesel 861 you are swapping engines and transmissions. Why would you do that? Why not just swap rear ends?

WayneIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 850 change over to diesel 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the XX1 tractors built prior to SN 14257 have a different fly wheel, input shart, and left brake pedal ,shaft and piviot, transmission housing, center housing,like all X00 series, than the ones built after SN14256 which accomedats the SOS and the thicker flywheel, that came with the diesels. .

RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 850 change over to diesel 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is it. First pictures are this morning with the trans in place. Spent the morning looking for flywheel bolts, finally found 5 and shortened a long one to fit. Then put motor to trans no problem, bolted front axle on and found that there was a stud broken off. The one that holds radius cap and the running board bracket. Went to drill it out and the piece went into the transmission. Took the cover off fished it out. the rest of the day we were trying to get the stick back on (That's another story).
The tractor and trans are compatible and the flywheel bolted to the diesel and went together easily. I expected to get a lot further today.
The gas motor will go in the 641 and I may go as far as using a 5 spd out of a 961.
Ron

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 850 change over to diesel 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RBnSC wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:35:20 12/04/12) This is it. First pictures are this morning with the trans in place. Spent the morning looking for flywheel bolts, finally found 5 and shortened a long one to fit. Then put motor to trans no problem, bolted front axle on and found that there was a stud broken off. The one that holds radius cap and the running board bracket. Went to drill it out and the piece went into the transmission. Took the cover off fished it out. the rest of the day we were trying to get the stick back on (That's another story).
The tractor and trans are compatible and the flywheel bolted to the diesel and went together easily. I expected to get a lot further today.
The gas motor will go in the 641 and I may go as far as using a 5 spd out of a 961.
Ron

Seems that I have had the stick take two minutes or two hours. LOL

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.