Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydraulic Problem Solved.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Using the advice of a guy over on the Shopbuilt forum (see the link) I built a "redneck flow divider".

Basically you put a tee in both lines and connect the tees with a gate valve. That allows you to bleed off some of the pressure to the return line.

Works pretty good, adjustable on the fly. Best of all, I was able to plumb it up out of my parts pile. I'll still be gearing it down more as soon as I can put my hands on a bigger sprocket for the pump.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Next hurdle is trying to dump an actual load.
Video in last post on this thread

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I can see in your pictures on the other forum, you're gonna have structural problems where the hydraulic cylinder is tail hold on both ends. You have the C-channel going the weak way, I'll bet anything you'll need to brace them, at least with a V going back to the side frame. Wink

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't weld worth a darn, but that would sound right to me, Puddles.

--->Paul

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There ARE braces going from as low on the fixed mount of the cylinder as I could get them, going to the main frame about halfway forward, just above the axles.

Learned that lesson the first time I tried to lift the empty bed, even before it was decked.

I may box that rear member, or if you have a better way to reinforce it, let me know.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe something like this, try to use the same size / width / height material.

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This shows the bracing to the rear (fixed) end of the cylinder.

I like the idea of bracing that rear cross member on the subframe tho. I'll have to see what I can scrounge up for material.

After cleaning up the plumbing I loaded about of yard of wet compost on it, and dumped it okay.

Definitely going to have to re-gear it, it was ALL that 5.5 Honda wanted to lift that load.

Video of dump action.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It might just be the picture, but it looks like that box tube is already bowed?

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Camera distortion.

The push point on the dump frame has been triangulated since that picture was taken.

Next time I have the bed tilted up I'll take some more pictures.

dandeere
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well done 14, I can only think of about 5000 uses for that trailer! I also build/repair from stuff on hand,almost to the sake of fault. Last Saturday spent over an hour looking for then making a rubber wheel for a 3 inch castor out of a old boat trailer guide; only to have the other 3 caster wheels break when I put a load on. However, that looks real good. Later, Dan

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good to hear you got it figured out. There are very few things as satisfying as building a complex project out of simple parts, and not spending a dime doing it....

DBer60!

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the gate valve is just a plain water (plumbing)valve it can burst due to more pressure than it is rated to handle,i have had it happen.BE CAREFUL DON

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Problem Solved. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Puddles, that's what I was trying to suggest but
didn't have your computer savvy to show a pick. LoL
I still think the pump may be turning too fast. I
would put a tach. on it to check the RPM.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.