Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chain saw problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigMarv1085
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I traded some work for a poulan 385 pro bow saw last year. It had sat for years and I replaced the fuel lines and all new gaskets and diaphragm. Soaked it in carb cleaner for a couple days before new gaskets. It will run perfect for 5 or 10 minutes then bogs down and blows smoke. Adjusting doesn"t seem to help. A few days later it will start and run fine and the same thing starts. any suggestions?

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked to see if the spark arrester screen is carboned up, clogging the exhaust?

Idaho spud
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Big marv. Where are the high and low speed jets set at. By this I mean how far out are they set. Most all two cycles should be approx one turn out on the low speed jet and no less than approx 3/4 turn out on the high speed jet. If that's about where they are at the present get back with me we'll try another route.

JF in CT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm betting you have something wrong with the exciter coil or secondary coil. Spark getting weak (smoking) before it quits altogether. Cools down and works fine until the cycle starts over.

Jim

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuel tank not venting?

BigMarv1085
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

high adj 7/8 turn, low adj 1 turn but the vent valve was all messed up and I put one in from a weed eater that might be the problem, I have soaked that carb several times in carb cleaner, flushed with acetone and then blown out with air.

Idaho spud
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As one of the other guys mentioned, the fuel cap might not be venting right. After it quits ya if you open fuel cap and it blows gas back at ya it's not venting right. I have had saws that the ignition coil would put out too weak of spark after they got heated up. Normally the ignition is either good or bad but I have had them get weak after thay heat up. If it starts bogging down a quits ya, pull the plug and see if it has fire. If no fire, a bad ignition coil.

Michael Soldan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In any other engine,what you describe sounds like a coil problem rather than a carb problem..coil gets hot and fails,coil cools down and saw runs again...get a new coil and see what happens

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I once had a small Poulan that would run fine for 10 or 15 minutes and quit. Had to let it sit for an hour or so and it would start again.

It was a bad coil. Cost about $20 online. Actually, it should have been still under warranty but three Poulan dealers wouldn't touch it 'cause they said they'd never get paid by Poulan.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Bigmarv 1085,
Check the mag to flywheel setting.
It may be close enough to scrape. It will start the engine, but get hot.
Make sure that is at least .010.
I set them at.012
Guido.

Chip812
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Russ from MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:36:00 12/04/12) Fuel tank not venting?

+1

BigMarv1085
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hchecked the vent and found that it was hard as a rock, ran it about 15 minutes and it ran fine with no vent in it. Looked online and can't find one anywhere, guess I will see if maybe one off a old weed eater will work. I really appreciate the help

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.