Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 cyl vs 4 cyl?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Rod
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there much of a difference when working a 4cyl as opposed to a 3 cyl? I have a super c that I do loader work with, and I have a field cultivator that I till up our pastures up with (really sandy loose soil so it handles an 8 ft really well). All the newer equip has 3 cyl which I am sure is better for fuel economy and emissions, but if you had the same hp and the same conditions pulling the same plow, etc do the smaller motors have the same smooth "pull" that more cylinders have?

Maybe this is all personal preference...

Michael Price
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a IH 484 with a 3cyl diesel and it runs as smooth as a electric motor. I had a case DB 995 and it was a 4cyl diesel buy 2 cyl would fire at the same time. The IH when one piston is TDC one is midway and the other is BDC.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Threes have less inherent vibration, and a bit less friction, but they are not dramatically superior.
Putting higher RPM on a 3 gives it the same pulses per minute that a 4 has. They are fine. If modern in the sense that they have electronic fuel injection (diesel or gas) and electronic ignition and engine management, those are superior in performance for those reasons alone. Jim

Joshua Rod
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do they typically run at a higher rpm?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would use the appropriate number of cylinders for the HP requirement. The newer engines will be 2,3,4,or 6 cylinders, the older ones were 2,4 or 6.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Typically the newer the tractor the higher the rpm. It is free displacement in the sense that it pumps more air, and makes resulting power. The wear factor is not important, it is usually not twice the RPM. Jim

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your SC will out pull any of those new hi-tech 3cycl all day long.

Brad Motheral
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you base that on Gene?

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How "modern" are your 3 cylinders? The engines made the last 10-15 years can hardly be compared to engines designed 75 years ago and built 60 years ago. Air flow, fuel injection, electronic ignition have all improved. Compare a Chevy 235 I6 (3.9 Liter) to a "new" Chevy 2.2 engine. Almost half the size with much more HP and torque and they both run on 87 octane.

DGK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My take on 3cyl vs 4cyl is you can have the same horse power but A 12 horse lawn tractor will not pull what a 12 horse farm tractor will. And these new compacks have to have 4 wheel drive to come close to pulling a disk or plow. The larger rear tire makes alot of difference. Just my 2 cents. Doug

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dhermesc wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:29:36 12/05/12) How "modern" are your 3 cylinders? The engines made the last 10-15 years can hardly be compared to engines designed 75 years ago and built 60 years ago. Air flow, fuel injection, electronic ignition have all improved. Compare a Chevy 235 I6 (3.9 Liter) to a "new" Chevy 2.2 engine. Almost half the size with much more HP and torque and they both run on 87 octane.

Put that 2.2 into a '57 Chevy 60 series truck and see how long it would last.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't recall the 235 being much on durability. The babbitt bearings should be enough said on that topic.

Owen Aaland
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dhermesc wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:28:51 12/05/12) I don't recall the 235 being much on durability. The babbitt bearings should be enough said on that topic.

Only the first few years used poured babbit bearings like the the 216 did. From 1955 on all the 235 engines had precision bearing inserts. The insert type bearings were also babbit but only a couple thousands of in inch thick. There superiority comes from the steel backing. The 261 engines didn't last so long in many of those trucks either but then running them at 4400 rpm at 55 mph could have been part of the problem.

wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No the 3-cyl engines are usually not as smooth & quiet as the 4-cyl. of the same size and hp.

John G. Hasler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cyl vs 4 cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> A 12 horse lawn tractor will not pull what a 12
> horse farm tractor will.

No, of course not, for two reasons:

a) Horsepower is speed times force and determines how fast a machine can pull whatever it is that it can pull at all. "Pull" (i.e., draft) is a measure of the maximum force the machine can exert and is limited primarily by what it weighs.

b) Farm tractor horsepower is what the machine actually delivers to the wheels. Lawn tractor horsepower is the most that the manufacturer was ever able get out of the engine on a test stand in the lab.

> The larger rear tire makes alot of difference.

Tire size matters, as does tread, but weight dominates.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.