Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let them rot away

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Price
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Today I stopped at a house with about 20 combines and God only knows how many tractors and other equipment is rotting away.I talked to the guy living in the house and asked about the IH behind the barn, its been there over 10 years. I did my best, I guess it will sit there and wait for the scrap man some day. I just don't get why people would rather let something rot away until its unrepairable then let someone buy it and fix it up.

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised, also. Usually the owner will give a fancifull price based on his wishfull thinking regarding the value of what he has. It is almost always extremely high, but, they usually they do give a price.

Michael Price
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive ran into people that want a million bucks for it or they would rather let it sit. Some say they plan on fixing it some day.

My favorite is when you get a phone number to the owner and its been sitting 20 years and you call and leave a message and they never call back and you see someone hauled it off.

Michael Price
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

or I get the famous, its work 10,000 in scrap.

huntingreen2day2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't quit asking. You never know. I saw a JD 420 sitting a guys yard one day. Called to see if he was interested in selling. He said yes. Said he wanted 5 bills. I asked him what kind of bills. he said hundred dollar bills. I offered him 400 and he took it. I came home got the trailer and when I backed it in his yard he drove it on the trailer. I talked to others that had seen it sitting there. I just caught him at the right time I guess.

da.bees
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yard art ???

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, I've heard owners tell me their peice is worth $100,000 since it was originally built in 1950. It's an antique. You got to deal with them, because until you talk to them, you can't seperate them from "Oh is that old thing still out there? If I give it to you, how long will it take to get it out of here?". I man gave me a late 1920's Brunner compressor, including the non leaking tank and original Robbin Myers electrical motor, out of a field in Lockport, NY. In enough cases, people can be reasoned with, if you have a plan that respects their sense of economy. Sometimes it was their daddy's tractor, and it isn't about money. They will never part with their memories of their daddy driving it through the fields. You'll have to respect that.

ldj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I knew a guy like that that died about 2 years ago. He had all kinds of good stuff and still bought more and wouldn't sell any. Some would run, most wouldn't. He loved that stuff, he would show it all to you telling where and when he got it. However it was his, he paid for it, it made him happy and I was happy for him. He bought it to make him happy, not me. I don't have a problem with that.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob Huntress wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:15:53 12/05/12) Sometimes it was their daddy's tractor, and it isn't about money. They will never part with their memories of their daddy driving it through the fields. You'll have to respect that.

I've seen this too Bob. Its still a shame though.
Their daddy wouldn't have wanted it setting there rotting away.

There was a guy not far from me that had a field full of JD 2 cylinders.
I stopped a few times (in 20 years) to ask, so did a couple other guys I know.
He was not selling any of them.
One day they were all gone.
He had passed and his wife was so tired of people stopping over the years
that she called the scrap man before anyone else could "bother" her.

BCnT
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on the other hand,why is it people think they can just buy anything they want and drive up and start asking questions...then stomp their feet and have a hissy fit when the OWNER says no.
i bet there was a no tresspassing sign on driveway too.

Walt Davies
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Call nephew Johnny he can anybody out of anything. Once we wanted to buy a Ford model A from this old minor who wouldn't talk to anyone. Johnny went up spent about an hour then came back and said he gave it to us.
Walt

led
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's mine, it's paid for. There is not a for sale on it.
Led

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Led, No one is talking about making anyone give up anything they don"t want. I respect what people own. When you see something sticking in a field for a few seasons that is rusting away, and we approach the owner to attempt to offer to buy it, provided they are willing to sell, is there really a line that we are crossing? I respect when the owner says, "No". I accept when they are simply pricing it beyond what it would ever be worth, but still I respect that it is theirs. I"ve gotten a great deal of cool stuff that others would have let rot, by simply asking if they would be willing to sell. In many instances, we agree to a price that is mutually agreeable for each of us, and sometimes they are simply happy to see it gone. Is there really a problem with that? Scrap prices aren"t alwats that high.

FBH44
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Know a lady bought a nice farm that way, saw a beautiful place, knocked on the door, and old grandma told her "No honey, we're not interesterd in selling." Left her name and mnumber. Couple years later the grandma called, told her they'd decided to sell, please come by again.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Let them rot away Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess the guy figures since he bought and paid for them he can do what he wants with them and doesn't need any 'expert' advice.Same way with land
I consider anyone grazing horses or that plant Pine trees are totally wasting doing anything useful with their property but since they bought and paid for it without my help its their business.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.