Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KCTractors
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am very lazy tonight, hard day, but I am working on a Farmall A, what oil should I put in the transmission and final drive?

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i use 85-140

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have Farmall B and use 85-140 with Lucas oil treatment in it.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I drain them and put a couple gal of Diesel drive around a bit tne drain and flush then refil with 90 wt. The level plug is behind the brake rod on the left side of the tranny. Tranny and final are in the same casting. So pour in thru the plug on top of the tranny till it comes out the level plug and you are fit to go.

erik dekeyser
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gene isnt the final drives on the A and the 140 seperate? I usually take the final drive pans of and refill them in the plug just above the pans with 80w90 oil.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

80W90 is the right viscosity. The final drives and the transmission are separate and do not share the oil supply. Flushing the tranny with diesel or kero is always a good practice when changing the gear lube.

As a final note, the other suggestions here are fine, so use what ever gear lube you have, as long as it is new and clean. The heavier weight lube might be a bit too stiff in cold weather depending upon where you live. People get a little too indigestive around oil and gear lube for these old girls. They like CLEAN oil and lube, changed appropriately. Unless you are constantly working the snot out of your letter series tractor, clean oil and new filters are the best thing you can do for them......................much more important than what brand or multi-vis vs. straight weight vs. detergent vs. non-detergent. Keep 'em clean and keep 'em full. You will be just fine.

Last edited by Tom Fleming on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes i was thinking about the diff drive. With out a doubt the finals are different. By the way the finals sure arent very nice to service i guess thats why lots are dry. Some think the finals can just use grease but that will not lube the top bearing of the diff shaft or the gear on that shaft.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dont forget to drain the PTO so it getsnew lube also. The oil slinger in the tranny throws it up to a passage which drains into the PTO assy and that passage can get plugged not letting lube to get there.

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would recommend 85w140. I ran 75w90 in there and the tranny was loud.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: What Oil in A Transmission and Final Drive Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 85W-140, but keep tractors in heated shop.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.