Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1956 660 has been sitting for years ... what to try first?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StealthSlacker
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: 1956 660 has been sitting for years ... what to try first? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My father purchased this 1956 Ford 660 at auction several years ago not running for $1600 dollars, planning to fix it up, and it has sat under an oak tree ever since.

It has the original 6v system, a Zenith carburetor, and a battery from 2006. I would describe it as being in rough condition. Prior to being used at the college where it was auctioned, it served in the US Army Core of Engineers.

I've admired the tractor since my dad brought it home, and I guess he got tired of me asking about it, because it showed up at my house one day.

Once I replace the 6v battery, what should I do to see if it will run after having sat for so long? The fuel system is dry, as is the radiator, and the crankcase has oil.

Thanks for looking at the 660 and for any suggestions on where to start.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 660 has been sitting for years ... what to try firs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would loosen the oil pan drain plug to see if any water is present. If there's water I would drain the oil and replace the oil and filter. Take a flashlight and look in the gas tank for any rust, dirt or gummy residue from the old gas.
It may need cleaning. Remove the distributor cap and clean the points with some 320 wet or dry until shiny. Fill the radiator with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. Then check for leaks. Once you have the new battery installed and with the ignition switch in the on position & the points open take a volt meter or test lite and check for battery voltage on both small terminals on the coil. If there's voltage here put fresh gas in the fuel tank and see if it will start. Hal
PS: I would also check those gear boxes for water. They may need to be drained and filled with new gear lube. I would also install a new set of sparkplugs. I would also replace the plug wires. Only replace one wire at a time so you don't mess up the firing order. Place your request over on the Ford forum as you will get more responses over there.

davediehl@hotmail.com
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 660 has been sitting for years ... what to try firs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Change all fluids, everything! If you have a small shop vac with the small wand, clean out the tank if its been sitting dry. That is, as long as there is no gas odor present. Clean out the sediment bowl. Mix your fresh fuel with some 2 cycle oil and only put in enough to get started and 20 minutes of run time. No need to fill it as you may be cleaning out the sediment bowl a second time. I would have fresh cork gaskets on hand for the sediment bowl. Install a fresh battery and fire it up. If you need a starting aid, WD40 works best. Its not as volatile as starting fluid and will lube parts as its sucked in.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.