Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does this Edison-Splitdorf magneto go to?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: What does this Edison-Splitdorf magneto go to? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I got my 1940 A it came with an Edison-Splitdorff magneto. I know from what i have read it"s not for that tractor. The serial is X19268 and the type is 03761. What did this go on originally? Mine has a Wico on it so I really don"t have a use for this one. Does it have any value? Thanks for your help.

Lon in NE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What does this Edison-Splitdorf magneto go to? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Didn't take much of a search to find this. Looks like it came on some L's and LA's.

Edison Splitdorf
model RM2 spec. 03757
John Deere part # AL2227T
application L 621,079-624,999
Note: Part # AL2227T was a magneto assembly less a drive gear & impulse
drive lug assembly. The above listed tractors used an AL2228T drive gear &
impulse drive lug assembly which produced a 10 degrees lag angle.
L 625,000-639,999
LA 1,000-4,532
Note: Part # AL2227T was a magneto assembly less a drive gear & impulse
drive lug assembly. The above listed tractors used an AL2337T drive gear &
impulse drive lug assembly which produced a 20 degrees lag angle.
Note: Edison Splitdorf changed the spec.# from 03757 to 03761 during their
production of this magneto. We found no information listed in any Edison
Splitdorf publications as to why the spec. # changed. We also did not find
any information in any John Deere parts book that mentions this spec. #
change. Edison Splitdorf was very lax in dating various information. We did
find an Edison Splitdorf general magneto application chart that was stamped
with a receiving date of January 28th 1943 by the firm it was sent to that
mentions that spec. 03757 had been replaced by spec. 03761. We do feel
that the spec. # changed prior to 1943.
Note: Other than portions of the name plates, which were painted
semi-gloss black, the rest of the magneto was not painted.

Here's the site I found the info on.
http://www.mainelymagnetos.com/JDMagApp.html

Husker44A
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: What does this Edison-Splitdorf magneto go to? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few days ago there was a guy on here that was looking for a Mag for his L. I replied to it also. Look back a few pages to find him. He is across the pond tho. Europe I think.

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What does this Edison-Splitdorf magneto go to? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had one that was OEM on my styled L. I was working for a Deere dealer when I had it around 1979. At that time - I tried to get parts through Deere and they had nothing. They subbed it over to a complete Wico mag.

No Internetb back then so I swapped mags. Now with the Net, I suppose you could find repair parts somewhere.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What does this Edison-Splitdorf magneto go to? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the mag is good actually. It just came with the tractor along with some other parts when I got it. I guess I will try to find it a good home now. I have no use for it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.