Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

truck engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: truck engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking for another truck and have been looking at the Freightliners.I have found one with the C7 CAT engine in it,the question being is how good,how long do these engines last.Common problems,bad things,etc.Havent never owned a small one so it is news to me got a Cummins in a Freightliner now but thats another story

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: truck engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i don't know about the small cats but my grandfather had a 94 kw with a 3406 cat that the rad stopped up because you had to put conditioner in the there every six months

bigboreG
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: truck engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would stay away from a smaller one. Course it depends on what your doing with it i guess. I put alot of miles on a 02 pete with a C10 cat. For being a smaller engine it did very well and was great on fuel. But it ran at the top of the pyro gauge quite often , i think a 13 spd would have helped that. All in all, that is the smallest Cat engine i would want.

the haulin harris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: truck engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i run a cat everyday, if i was buyin a class 7 truck it would be a cat or nuthin.

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: truck engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess no one has a 7L Cat. Where I worked for 27 yrs they had about everything for bob trucks. The one I loved was a L800 Ford with a 534 gas motor. But the 466 IHC was really the best. And the later electronic ones were even better! They had a 7 speed and no two speed rear. Like you can change a water pump in 15 minutes or less. I think the new ones are 500 plus. Vic

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: truck engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Vic the 38 year I drove we had Ford L8000 powered with 3208 Cat. and they were gutless. We also had Ford L800's powered with 370v4. When the 370's went bad they put in 427 Chevys that held up better than the Ford motors. My last tractor before retiring was a late 80's IH single axle with the old style DT466 with the straight 7 speed trans. It would out run the new Freightliners with a Cummins and 9 speed roadranger.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: truck engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've heard the tappet cover or something on them have a tendency to leak. And typical Cat they like their fuel.

Sako

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: truck engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the 230hp C7 in my last Freightliner school busses, loved it. Out ran the mercedes, IH 466's, and cummins motors.

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: truck engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replaced one in a bus 5 years ago. It threw a rod through the block. Guy who dropped off the reman short block said he has seen that before. I don't know how common it is.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.