Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOS Operation question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
white halftrack
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello again everyone. I am working on my late 1961 SOS 971 152xxx tractor. The tractor shifts through all gears well with no problems at all, but in Park, if placed on an incline it rolls down. Is it supposed to do this or should it lock in place? It is a 312259 transmission casting and the fluid level is good filter clean. I adjusted the bands according to the manual and it still shifts everywhere fine, but no park hold. Any suggestions? Otherwise kinda liking this machine.

Thanks.

Jason

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here's a link to john smith's sos troubleshooting.

i'd check that first one.. as it sounds like it is going to neutral in park, assuming it is adjusted correctly and actually making it to park.
John Smiths site sos troubleshooting

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The transmission should lock the driveline when in Park though there will likely be a delay prior to engagement.

Dean

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

B2 & B3 make Park on that machine. These are spring applied. It seems odd that all ratios work and it still rolls away in Park. Are you sure you have the proper manual? Something surely sounds off on band adjustment to me.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many SOS operators have reported that the tractor will roll a bit after P is selected. The most common cure is to place the selector in 5 (IIRC) and then quickly move it to P. Fortunately I've never had this problem with either of my SOS tractors (971 & 5000).

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use my 971 quit a lot in the summer. Before the SOS warms up, it will creep for a second or two in park, but once it gets warmed up it is pretty much instantly in.

kly
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lock the brakes and it won't go anywhere.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kly wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:56:55 12/08/12) lock the brakes and it won't go anywhere.

I don't think that addresses his concern. I believe he wants a fix, not a bandaid.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

are sos transmission tractors equipped with lockable
brakes? been a few years since i owned one but i
believe my 64 4 cylinder diesel was not equipped
with lockable brakes.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

are sos transmission tractors equipped with lockable
with lockable brakes.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no pawls?

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

now i remember, thanks.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pete black wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:41:45 12/08/12) are sos transmission tractors equipped with lockable
with lockable brakes.

the early 01s were, if not all the 01s. the 4 cylinder 000s were not. I can't speak to the '65 - '74 models

Scott PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try shifting quickly from 5th to park to see if it holds.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: SOS Operation question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tough to do on the SOS tractors without brake locks.

For this very reason, I installed brake locks on my 64 4000 SOS.

Dean

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.