Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2N front axle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerry 2N
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know that the 8N has a bushing or spacer in front and behind the axle at the pivot point why can't I use them on a 2N?

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can-I did..You will now see 97 different opinions--do whatever floats ur boat--It does work no matter what some will say..

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hope you kept the lid for the can you just opened! ;*)

Den N Ms
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeh and it has 8 or 10 3/8 holes poked in the lid.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TOM N MS wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:19:33 12/08/12) You can-I did..You will now see 97 different opinions--do whatever floats ur boat--It does work no matter what some will say..

The 2N was a mutt and came with multiple different front axle setups so that complicates the question somewhat. For the sake of discussion lets assume it's an early 2N with
  1. Cast bolster
  2. Radius rods hooked to the axle extensions.
I know you can put the spacers in there and bolt it up - it runs and it steers just fine. But my question (because I really don't know the answer although I have an educated guess) is:

Once assembled can you adjust the front wheel spacing from all the way in to all the way out without taking it apart to rearrange the spacers?

You can on an 8N.

TOH

Den N Ms
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 9N/2N front end where the radius rods IS different from the 8N. The rad. rods on the 9N/2N attach to the adjustable axle arms, where the 8N rad. rods attach to the center axle section. When adjusting a 9N/2N's wheel spacing, the center axle section HAS to move fore and aft, unlike the 8N.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sell worms - by the pound or the dozen - take your pick.
I never understood the reason for those washers as the radius rods are what hold the frone axle in position.
But from 1939 through 1985 or so Ford used that same wishbone front end and some of em had washers and some of em didn't.
Look it up if you doubt.
Generally if I find them on a tractor I'm working on I reinstall them.
But I don't fret if they aren't there.
For more infomation on worms;
Click Here

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Den N Ms wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:12:17 12/08/12) The 9N/2N front end where the radius rods IS different from the 8N. The rad. rods on the 9N/2N attach to the adjustable axle arms, where the 8N rad. rods attach to the center axle section. When adjusting a 9N/2N's wheel spacing, the center axle section HAS to move fore and aft, unlike the 8N.

I took plane geometry and I also own a 9N and an 8N.

Simple geometry says if the center section on a 9N/2N can't move the radius rod pins won't line up when you attempt to widen or narrow the wheel spacing.

Corollary to that theorem:

You can't get the pins in the 8N radius rods if you put the spacers in wrong.

Don't ask Wink

TOH

jerry 2N
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you that is the answer.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess my first attempt didn t go through. I thought we were talking about Center Pivot pin and stuff related. Not tie rods and such. Please advise. Thanks. B

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And oddly enough they are curved to allow for the widening. yipes.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And your link is all you got on the mighty worm. Wikipedia has a better file also NatGeo. ;*)

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob Harvey wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:54:28 12/08/12) And oddly enough they are curved to allow for the widening. yipes.

Not exactly my friend. That was my initial thought but the inner and outer axle segments are actually straight. The inner segment is simply bent in the middle to angle the ends rearward. That means pin holes in the outer axle segments will move along a straight line as the segments slide in/out. However the pin holes in the end of the radius rod will move along a circular arc as they are swung in/out.

Theorizing is always fun but I have a 9N sitting on jackstands with the axles unbolted and flopping in the breeze - easy enough to do a quick test right after I dispose of some country ham and eggs Wink . Knowing how tight the pins fit into the holes my "educated guess" has not changed. Film at 11.

TOH - Myth Buster Wannabe

Last edited by TheOldHokie on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Euclid was right Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:05:21 12/09/12)
Bob Harvey wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:54:28 12/08/12) And oddly enough they are curved to allow for the widening. yipes.

Not exactly my friend. That was my initial thought but the inner and outer axle segments are actually straight. The inner segment is simply bent in the middle to angle the ends rearward. That means pin holes in the outer axle segments will move along a straight line as the segments slide in/out. However the pin holes in the end of the radius rod will move along a circular arc as they are swung in/out.

Theorizing is always fun but I have a 9N sitting on jackstands with the axles unbolted and flopping in the breeze - easy enough to do a quick test right after I dispose of some country ham and eggs Wink . Knowing how tight the pins fit into the holes my "educated guess" has not changed. Film at 11.

TOH - Myth Buster Wannabe

Top picture is with the wheels set all the way out, bottom picture is with the wheels set all the way in.

Myth Buster Findings:
  • The center front axle on the 9N/2N must be free to move .500+ fore and aft in order to allow front wheel spacing to be adjusted throughout the designed range.
  • Unlike the 8N using spacers on the axle pin to remove free space will necessitate removing the axle bolster to rearrange teh spacers when adjusting wheel spacing.
  • The .500 wide spacer used on the 8N will restrict the spacing adjustment possible to all the way in or to all the way out with little to no in between settings.
  • If you are going to use spacers avoid wide spacers and use multiple narrow spacers to provide intermediate adjustments
TOH

Last edited by TheOldHokie on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:39 am; edited 4 times in total
Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2N front axle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AHA! and thanks for the schoolin'.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.