Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Draining water hose

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any of you use hoses all winter and have to drain daily?

Cattle are on the wheat stubble and not near the hydrant. I have about 200 feet of hose running to the tank. I hate draining that thing every day but the girls would be a little mad if their water hose was frozen up. Of course the only rolling part of that field is on the other side of the section. If I had a little hill over here I wouldn't have any issues.

What do you all do (other than putting in a new hydrant?). I will run a water line out there in the spring.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Notjustair wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:54:17 12/08/12) Any of you use hoses all winter and have to drain daily?

Cattle are on the wheat stubble and not near the hydrant. I have about 200 feet of hose running to the tank. I hate draining that thing every day but the girls would be a little mad if their water hose was frozen up. Of course the only rolling part of that field is on the other side of the section. If I had a little hill over here I wouldn't have any issues.

What do you all do (other than putting in a new hydrant?). I will run a water line out there in the spring.

How hard does it freeze were you are?
When temps were fairly mild around here we could get by with just blowing
them out with air so there wasn't enough water in there to plug them up.
Otherwise, we pulled them up and over a tree limb on their way back in.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep it stinks, rolling up the hose! Horse farm I worked on had a 40 stall barn, not sure how long the barn was, but they had a hose reel in the heated office in the center of the barn. Lucky I dident get the task of watering the stalls, you'd pull the hose out to one end, work back to the other end of the barn than reel the hose back in! Now I use a 20 stall barn, we only have 3 horses left, and less than 50 ft of hose! Lol

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a hose running to the horses that runs 24/7 365 just enough to keep the tanks full and also enough to stop them from freezing up and me and have been doing so now for well over 2 decades

farmerjohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was still at home we had cows in a barn with no running water about 200 feet from the house. Kept the hose in the house cellar, pulled to the barn to fill the old bathtub, then pulled back into the cellar. Did not roll it up, just looped it on the floor about 10 foot across. Yes it was a pain but you did what you have to do. In the coldest weather had to turn the water on before pulling it out or would freeze before you got to the barn.

Tom in TN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I buried my water lines a couple of years ago, so now I only have short hoses running from the hydrants to the tanks. I remove the ends of the hoses from the hydrants and drain the hoses on nights when it is going to freeze.

For ten years prior to that, I had two 100 ft. hoses. Every day (when it was going to freeze), after filling the tanks, I'd leave the hoses stretched out and drain them by doing over-head, hand-to-hand lifts down the length of the hoses. It really didn't take too long but my shoulders got a really good workout doing it.

Tom in TN

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That may work in your climate. But you get up here farther north that doesn"t work on below zero days. If you opened a 200" hose far enough to keep from freezing here in Iowa, you would have to have 500 head drinking to not have a ice skating rink around the tank.

Gary

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the bottom of the tank freeze? Lay the hose in the water in the bottom of the tank if the cows don't drink it dry and if it stays thawed. You'll have a wet hose to handle in freezing weather but at least you can use it. Tie a rope to it so you can pull it back out without fishing for it. Jim

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well funny that is how I did if back when I lived in NE Leigh NEB. back in the day and never had a problem but back then there was snow on the ground on Oct 31st till some time in March not that way now. Snow and a hose equals running water due to the fact snow is an insulator.

BCnT
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you got a portable air tank...use a blow gun to empty hose and leave it there.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That wont work as there will always be a low spot some place and the water will drain back there and freeze.

rusted nuts
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep Tom in TN, That way will work, Have a 100 footer here and do it that way, I also make sure I walk slow while I do it.

sammydwm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

always had to pull the hose out of the hole in the side of the shed, then walk it down from the barn to the shed over my head to get all the water out.
Then coil it up and drag it into the barn and hang it on the wall and try to dodge that big roll of hose with the silage cart for another day....

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want to get fancy - use a Y connector (the kind with individual shut off valves)

Run the hose on one side of the Y, and run a hose from the other side to an air compressor.

After you run the water- shut the water and open both sides of thy Y to blast it out.

... Just be REAL sure you shut the water off first!

tjiniowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Draining water hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always thought about putting a pulling in the barn and a light rope and pull the hose straight up in the air in the center and let it drain itself. Would work on the side of a silo or tall shed depending on how long of hose it is.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.