Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reloading ammo ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mosinee dave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

how much can one save or where is the cheapest to buy ? some said cabelas is the cheapest

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will probably not save that much unless you are shooting some exotic and expensive calibers. Otherwise you"ll be able to shoot more for the same money. Good, safe reloading is exacting job - not to be taken lightly. BY THE BOOK!

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We do all reloading except for shotgun shells.For us reloading is far cheaper than to buy new.We purchase from Midway USA, Natchez,and our local pistol place for powders and primers,as now the Companies will charge extra for shipment of powders and primers as hazardous materials.
Reloading is almost an exact science,as if you mess up it will hurt,maim, or kill someone.If you pay strict attention to what you are doing it is definitely worth while.If you don't try to cram the shell with more powder,inspect all cases,and don't try to make it up as you go, it is quite safe and cost worthy.
We just reloaded a 100 rounds of 30-06 Springfield at cost here for loaded ammo is $30.00 per box ( 20 rounds) and the cost of reloading supplies at our cost was around $75.00.We still have powder left over so that can be used for the next round of reloading,but have to buy bullets, and primers again.
We bought dies years ago for all our calibers,when they were inexpensive,as compared to todays cost.Even then we still save on costs per shell.
Just our experience,hope it helps.
Regards,
LOU

mosinee dave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I want to do is buy about 100 rounds for each cal we own before the price even rises more.Own quit a few different cal as a collection

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'm with lou reloading is the way to go and you can play with powers and bullets to get a more accurate shot each time every time with my 30-06 i can put five in a target the size of a quarter at 100 yards

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many rounds do you shoot per week?
I saved a ton reloading shotgun shells when I was shooting trap and
skeet, blowing up 300+ rounds per weekend.
I'm not shooting any where near that much any more, so I buy them now.
I know reloading shotgun shells and rifle/pistol ammo is different,
but I still think the realized savings would depend on how much you shoot.
Specially when you factor in the reloader and dies, plus your time.
I own a .30 Gibbs. I have to reload or re-barrel.
Dies cost me a fortune as they had to be custom made.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cross-reference at least 3 different reloading books for any load I need to reload..
It IS surprising, how many entries in the Books are not accurate..
Get a good vibratory case cleaner, case trimmer, GOOD scale and work without distractions..
You can come up with loads that are far more accurate than "Factory" ammo...
For Best accuracy, I use "Match Primers" fire-formed cases with only 1/2 the neck sized..
Powder and primers will store for years, as well as the finished product..
Ron..

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back when I did reloading there was really no economic reason to load ammo yourself. It was such a labor intensive job it wasn't worth it to save money. The benefit is you could load more accurate rounds doing it yourself.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At my cost for primers, powder, projectiles it's about 60 cents on the dollar. What you can buy for 20 I build for about 12 bucks. Certain stuff isn't as cost effective, like .223. That stuff is so cheep that it don't pay to reload it.

Now on my target loads for the indoor pistol range are about 40 cents on the dollar but large cal. handgun is lead only.

Rick

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should of added, thats after start up cost.

Rick

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reloading is a catch 22. You need to first off understand how it is done then have the tools to do so and also the knowledge to do it safely. If you look at it this way. It will cost you $25 per die set. Then $25 per lbs of powder. Then to do it right and safely you need a powder scale and many many more thing. Cost to get set up will be a grand give or take a bit for say 10 sizes of round. I reload around 5-7 sizes of rounds but it has taken me a decade to get all that set up and many many hours of reading and learning the art and still only so so with it

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old is right to a point. To me it's a hobby as is shooting. I enjoy both so I discount the labor part. And most hobbies cost money. This is one where in the long run I can save a few bucks. If you shoot a couple of boxes of ammo a year it will take a very long time to start saving money. On the other hand if you shoot a lot it can and will save money on most ammo. About 6 weeks ago a buddy, my so and I shot pistol. We went through about 400 rounds of .45ACP. WE don't often shoot that much but 2-3 hundred rounds a month isn't uncommon. that's when the savings really show up.

Rick

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I started reloading when powder was $4.90 a lb. That what an old can of mine still has on it.

The dies were around $16 new and a few were bought used.

I buy second bullets direct from the Sierra factory in Sedalia MO.

And I am still using powder that I bought in 1994 when Klinton was in office.

My only problem is time and the gumption to do the reloading.

Gene

brian brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It really depends but if you want premium ammo to shoot you can make that cheaper one you get past the supplies. for instance a box of 22-250 hornaday superformance,you can load 2 or 3 boxes for what 1 costs using the exact same components.Cabelas is good but high go to midway,natchez,midsouth shooters supply ,wideners or many other places for supplies.powder and primers you are better off at a gun show or cabelas becuase of the hazmat fees.a rcbs rock chucker master reloading kit is a very good start.If you get on some shooting forums you can buy lots of stuff used dies,brass ,bullets and tools.

doubleN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: reloading ammo ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reloading is definitely cheaper-I never bothered to figure out how much cheaper because I enjoy it. And-it's a way to make better ammo. But for me, it's also a great hobby. (A cheaper hobby than antique tractors!)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.