Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8N starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay in Va
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been out all year with broken leg, but trying to get ready for snow. 8n won"t start! Spray starter fluid into carb, fires right up. open drain on bottom of carb, fuel runs freely. Still struggling with crutches so working is difficult. Anyone have an extra magic wand?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the air intake tube off and make sure the choke is working as it should and the little plate that is held closed with the spring is there and the spring is there. Next hold you hand over the air intake an try to start it. You should both feel a good suction and also get gas on your hand. If you do not get both then you have sticking rings and you need to give it an ATF treatment which by the way would not hurt to do either way. By the way it just might try to start when you do that and if it does feather your hand over the carb air intake to keep it running and by doing so you may clear up the clog you have in the carb jets

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been struggling with one for a couple of weeks so I'm not sure I am qualified to help. Other posters are going to want to know if this is 6 or 12 volt and front or side mount distributor.

I am going to ask if you have checked to spark. Sitting for a long time can cause corrosion on the points and weak or no spark.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been struggling with one for a couple of weeks so I'm not sure I am qualified to help. Other posters are going to want to know if this is 6 or 12 volt and front or side mount distributor.

I am going to ask if you have checked to spark. Sitting for a long time can cause corrosion on the points and weak or no spark.

Mike OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First thing I would suspect is the gasoline. Has the same gas been in it for over a year? If so, drain it and put in fresh. Next thing I would suspect is the points. Clean them up a bit and recheck the gap. Good gas, good points, good spark, should run.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reason I did not say anything about spark is because he said it runs on starting fluid so it almost has to be a clogged carb type problem LOL. So you still haven't got your running again?? You know your problem almost has to be one of those little things that once you find it you will be hitting your head on a wall thinking I should have checked that

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike OH wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:19:26 12/09/12) First thing I would suspect is the gasoline. Has the same gas been in it for over a year? If so, drain it and put in fresh. Next thing I would suspect is the points. Clean them up a bit and recheck the gap. Good gas, good points, good spark, should run.
"Should" is the KEY word there........just ask HCOOKE! You should read his last week history on the other N board (two threads)! Talk about having eliminates possibilities! And still no run longer than a repeatable 3 seconds!

Den N Ms
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jay,Get it running again with the starting fluid.If you can keep it running by spritzing the starting fluid in the carb throat Then it is fuel related and the main jet has trash plugging it up.Try hand choking it over the carb throat if that don't clear it.It is plugged ,You might get it cleared out by removing the main jet needle and take a can of carb cleaner with the straw attached and sticl it way down the main jet needle hole and try blasting out the trash.Do not use compressed air to try to clear it out as that will damage the float. If that don't work the carb will have to be removed and cleaned .If the starting fluid doesn't keep it running then it is loss of spark.First try jumping the ignition switch,or try hot wiring it direct to the coil.

Jay in Va
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Tomorrow I will hobble out and try the various suggestions. Last Janurary she was purring. It is usually the simpliest of things.

Jay in Va
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 8N starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It appears to be not getting gas. Hand blocked the choke and no gas on my hand. Good flow to the carb though.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.