Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9N Points

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: 9N Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I keep having trouble with losing spark on my 9N.
I cleaned the old points, and it worked.
Got new plugs because the old ones were fouled.
Then it sat for a month or 2 in the garage, didn't start so I bought new Echlin points, it started up with better spark than it ever had.
Then I used it a while and let it sit for a month without running it in the garage.
Again the points fouled and I have no spark.
I'm thinking of just doing away with the points altogether and getting a electronic ignition kit for front mount distributors.

I have a Farmall 200, and all I've ever done with that was to put the dist. cap in the oven on low with the door open once when it got damp after a year of sitting.

I don't know why but the 9N never wants to start when I want it to.

tackhammertime
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you using the three gaskets that go with the coil/ dist? My 47 2n sits in a shed with no heat 365 and starts every time. I always run it once a month. Points are three years old.

Connor
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the cork gaskets for between the cap and dist., and for between the coil and dist.
Where is the third one at?
I thought there is one for between the block and the distributor, but I called my Ford dealer and he said no, and I couldnt find a gasket set online..

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gasket between the block and the distributor one below the coil and one for the cap which gives you 3. Most of the time what causes the points to corrode is the fact that when the engine shuts down the points are closed so they in turn corrode due to touching each other. If you can figure out how to get them open when you park it then that would be a lot less of a problem.

Mike OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Every time I shut down my 8N, I turn the key back on after the engine stops and watch the amp meter. If I see a negative deflection,(meaning the points are closed) I jog the starter button until the amp meter returns and stays at zero, before turning the key off. Then I know the points are open. I truly believe this practice has extended the life of my points.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya that works if your amp gauge works and or will move from the points being closed. I have seen many that doing that will no work

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Connor wrote:

I keep having trouble with losing spark on my 9N.

There is a good chance that its not your points . It is kind of a Rube Goldberg set up getting contact from the points to the copper strip to the concave screw to the pig tail on the coil .

I have no problem with my 8N that has points . It sits outside in the weather and may not be started for months , but it starts with no problem .

I did rebuild and test the distributor on the bench , then added the 4 gaskets with some sealer for a water tight fit . I remember having to trim the gaskets some .

Connor wrote:

I'm thinking of just doing away with the points altogether and getting a electronic ignition kit for front mount distributors.

I did convert the square can coil to a no resistor needed 12v round can . I think this is a weak link for this system .

I am an advocate for the EI unit since it is a better system , if it is in your budget . It works perfect or it doesn't work at all and not many properly install EI systems have failed . Voltage spikes in jump starting can be fatal .

old wrote:

Gasket between the block and the distributor
one below the coil and
one for the cap which gives you 3.

There is also a gasket ( aka dust shield ) that goes between the points and rotor .

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Conner........you do know ittza 2-bolt, 15-min job to remove the weird 4-nipple frontmount dizzy and change the points (0.015") on the kitchen table, don't you??? Just un-snapple yer capple and letter dangle. Installation is a reversal of the removal ...except... finger start the 2-bolts and install the rotor. Rotate the rotor until the OFF-SET drive tang fits into the camshaft OFF-SET drive slot. Now tighten yer 2-bolts and re-snapple yer capple. Simple, eh?

The OFF-SET drive scheme means you can never install yer 2-bolt dizzy outta time.

REMEMBER to "polish" the INVISIBLE corrosion from between the points (0.015") after installation. Me? I clamp a clean $1-bill between the points (0.015") and pull. Iff'n yer really cheap, tear a strip from HEAVY brown paper grocery sack and use that.

Surprizingly enuff, points CORRODE when OPEN. (oxygen in air you know) Closed points do NOT corrode. Howsomevers, closed points will MELT the cheap points plastic bumper iff'n you leave the weaksister ignition switch ON.

FYI.........yer weaksister ignition switch is the cause of most 9N run problems. It goes BAD innna 'bout 15-mins just as you complain. After it cools down (30-mins) you can re-start yer 9N and it will run fer about 15-mins again. ...also... yer carb has about 5-mins of gas in the bowl. A BAD condenser usually runs fer about 1-min before weak sparkies cause engine stops.

A BAD squarecan ignition coil runs fer about 1-hr before the insulative tar melts and causes engine to stop. ........Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There ya go! Some say they corrode less if left open, some say corrode less if left closed. Time to avoid the point-fiscal-cliff here, so to speak, so I guess we should leave the points half open or half closed! Twisted Evil

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.