Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roy in UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimKS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Roy in UK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply on my Field Marshall. I did get it running and showed it this summer.While traveling to the UK doing service work I bought numerous tractor books. Isaw pictures of tractors with gas producers mounted on them. I have aquired one of WW2 vintage that has nevr been used. Do you have any knolage of these or know someone who does?

Jim

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Roy in UK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Jim,I am glad you got your Marshall running. Interesting old tractors aren't they? I remember my neighbour using one of those right up into the early 60's to haul / power a threshing set , i.e. drum + a baler . When he was travelling down the road you could hear it for miles, "thud-thud-thud- thud!"
I can't help you much about the Wartime gas producers, sorry. I know in France they called them "Gasogene" tractors, The idea was used for cars and trucks too. There was a BBC TV documentary series programme called "Wartime Farm" and in one episode they actually re-created one, using an old 1930's ambulance
Wartime Farm episode 5

JimKS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Roy in UK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. There is some vary useful imformation in the video.

Jim

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Roy in UK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you can watch all the episodes on Youtube.On the whole it was very good but they did make a few "gaffes". In one episode they are shown drilling flax using a Field Marshall. Actually The Field Marshall tractor did not appear on British farms until well after VE day.In another episode they are baling straw with a Massey -Harris 701 (which did not go into production until 1950). But the one of the funniest things I have ever seen on a BBC documentary was during episode 1 when they attempted to make a mole drainer using an beaten out iron cart tire for the leg. What on earth (forgive the pun) was the blacksmith thinking? Yes, you guessed it, within 2 yards of entering the ground it bent like a banana!

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Roy in UK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi I just happened to notice yours about gas producers. Lanz were into this in a big way virtually throughout WW2 and apparently up til the late Forties. Their sytem as I recall 'baked' wood and burned the fumes produced. Evidently good with hard woods but very dirty and prone to clogging with any thing else. I dont know if this helps at all. Mike

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Roy in UK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi again. Sorry forgot to say. Your gas producer probably used Calcium Carbide and a water mixer of some kind. Wet Calcium Carbide instantly produces Acetylene which was then fed by pipe line to the gas controller/inlet manifold etc. In much the same way that earth gas derivants are used today. Acetylene cannot be compressed to any great degree so it was necessary to control the 'manufacture' to the amount being used. Carbide is still available. Personally I wouldnt go near it now but we had serious fun with it when I was many decades younger.MTF

richardinnz
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Roy in UK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When was that shown? We had the Edwardian farm shown down here last year, it looks like the same crew.
As already said above the Field Marshall (and that was a series 2) is well after the war, but I couldn't help to notice the Howard Rotaspreader body and the Vicon Acrobat rake they were clearing up, looking like they had been there since the first war. Other film gaffs is a Rotaspreader in Dads Army, and a Fordson New Major in the Battle of Britain film!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Lesser Known Classics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.