Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camshaft information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1939A

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am working on degreeing in my camshaft on my A . It calls for 108 degrees and that is were i have it. My question it should the intake valve close at bottom dead center in the dwell time or after it goes through the lost motion of the crank. I hope this makes sense im just wanting to double check all my baises before i put it back together tha ks for any help. The cam card says 108 degree and 112 overlap

Buzzman72

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try this link:
Degreeing A Camshaft

Gary Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

112 lobe seperation is not good. Who ground your cam?

1939A

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would rather not say who built the cam , they done all my work and have been happy just thought the intake valve should b closed be for the piston starts up on compression. I could advance it and give up some on the exaust side but i think that would be better.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is why they call it a long duration cam with overlap.
There is supposed to be enough airflow and velocity that the cylinder is still filling during the very early stages of the compression stroke.
How many rpm are you hoping for ?

1939A

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We are running 10% overstock. Could i retard the if i retard the cam a couple degrees i think the exaust wont be fully closed when it starts the intake side . It runs pretty good just trying to get a little more out of it. Thanks for all the help

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would 112 LSA be stock for an A? I know when I was calling around about 2 cylinder cam grinds, many of the grinders would only add lift and duration, but not change valve timming.

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 70 cam is timmed at 108. I run 10% over stock also. I would see if you could advance the cam a bit more - say 105 or 106.

My grind has 105 LSA. Engine works good, but could use a little more lug. I don't think that 112 LSA is going to give you what you want.

May want to consider something different. Josh Blackburn or Gary Baker can give you a better cam grind. Rumor is that they worked together developing a cam grind for A/60's.

rumor has it
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Speaking of rumors, didn't this motor come from josh?

1939A

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No this motor did not come from josh i wasnt aware of him when i built this motor from the things i have seen and learned he appears to knowwhat he is talking about. When i get my A together im going to work on my little boys G and i will talk with him. Thanks to all that have giving me advice im still learning

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Retarding the cam reduces low rpm lug and increases peak rpm power.
You want to run the cam moderatly advanced to increase low end torque.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.