Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have carried a Marlin 22 magnum rifle on my loader tractor for twenty years or more. I really beat the Heck out that old gun but it would still shoot pretty good. I liked the 22 magnum as the ammo is cheap but you still have enough punch to get ground hogs or coyotes if you are close.

Well tonight while feeding some 1000 lb replacement heifers, one of them knocked the gun out of the sabered I carry it on the tractor in. I was rushing trying to get through a gate before they ran out and did not see the gun had gotten knocked out. I ran over it with the rear tire of the tractor. Bent the barrel and wiped out the action.

I can't find any model numbers on the old gun. All of the years riding around on the tractor has rubbed all the writing off the gun. I bought it at a pawn shop auction 30 years ago. I think I gave $75 for it. It had some surface rust on it then. Like I said I beat the snot out of it. All it ever got for care was I would clean it up a few times each year and oil it all back up. It has road on my loader tractor and that has 15,000 hours on it.

So my question is. What model of rifle could I find to match what I had?? I would like a used older gun of a better named brand but would conceder a new no-name brand. this gun is not a life or death thing.

Jeff Oliver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't remember if you can still get the marlin but if you can it will be high. Henry makes one and they are 100% American made and the quality is really good as well. Not real sure if there is anyone else making a lever 22 mag now or not. I know the used Winchesters are high as heck.

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD Seller,
We have a 22 Magnum Marlin bolt action we also carry in the tractor, when we go out with it.According to the web sight on Gallery of guns they are still available,and relatively inexpensive.The 22 mag is a handy gun as you stated,hope we don't run over ours.lol. We've had it since the late 1970's,bought new, and still like new.They have even been known to take down a whitetail deer,if the shot is placed right,and doesn't attract too much attention from neighbors and DNR, or so I've been told,lol.Hope you can find another one, almost like losing an old friend.A few photos of our 22 marlin mag,and one of our 22 LR Charter Arms AR-7 takedown,we carry when doing dusty work,like plowing with the quack digger,or wood. Regards,
LOU

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD Seller,
Forgot to mention, You could look on ARMSLIST, under rifles,sometimes some come up,as another source of used guns.We read it every night looking for a reasonable 22 magnum revolver. Hope it helps,
Regards, LOU

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ruger makes one. Same style as a 10/22

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ruger no longer makes a lever action 22 Mag rifle.

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Winchester 9422

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like my Henrys. In fact, I liked the .22 Mag so much, I bought a .22 S/L/LR to go with it.

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got one. Marlin model 57M Levermatic. 22 mag, holds 15 rounds, 24" barrel and made 1960-69,

I have three new Henrys. No where near the build quality as the old Marlins - but still rugged enough and good shooters.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I owned a Levermatic, nice looking gun but the biggest POS of a firearm I've ever owned. Had failure to feed, fire and extract issues the two years I owned it. The reason it looked so good is that it never worked so the previous owner never used it. Finally cut 1/4" of the breech of the barrel and rechambered it and it would finally feed and fire but still had issues extracting sometimes. Sold it and was never so happy to see one gone.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just bought one for my son, they seem pretty good - especially for the price.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought my youngest son a Henry 22 lever action rifle. It shots OK but I hate the sights. You could hide a buffalo behind the wide front sight. The front tab is way too wide. So we ended up putting a scope on it. Sure ruins a saddle gun when you need a scope to shot anything over fifty feet away.

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's true. I wasn't thrilled with the sights, but that's due as much to my tired old eyes as anything.

I got another one in .45 Colt that I'm going to put a peep sight on as soon as the checkbook feels up to it.

charlie n
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Model 9422M.

I bought this little guy 25 years ago and love it.You put the cross hairs on a coyote at 75 yards it's dead. If I replaced it or bought another one today it would be a Henry.
Henry are a better quality and have a bigger lever.
JMO.Good Luck.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 22 magnum lever action rifle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Marlin 882 stainless/synthetic bolt action is a great little gun. They also have a wood and blue for the old school guys. Can be bought for 250 ish

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.