Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing Ceramic Tile

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dick J

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will be remodeling my bathroom soon and think I may run into a snag. I will need to remove the existing 6" x 6" ceramic tile and prepare the surface for the new tile. When I built my home I used 3/4" T&G plywood for the subfloor and then installed 3/8" plywood on top. This enabled me to match the elevation of the 3/4" hardwood in the adjacent hallway. Here is my problem. I don't think I will be able to remove & replace the 3/8" plywood because in addition to nailing it down I used plenty of PL 400 adhesive. Is there a way to break out the old tile and prepare the old surface for the new tile ? Thanks for any pointers.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

they make a scraper type blade for a sawzall, they work pretty good. i just did a tearout on a bathroom and it cleaned up the mortar real nice. if its not too big an area, a hammer and a wide chisel scraper works good. supposedly those fein multi master tools work good too, but i havent tried one yet.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as taking out the ceramic tile, I wear a full face shield and leather work gloves and break it up with a 8lb sledge hammer and then scrape the mortar. The plywood is going to take a lot of elbow grease. You might have to chisel it up.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dick,
My personal use, I use 1/2 inch cement board under my tile. There is a 1/4 inch backer board available. Have used it under tile. I was told not to put tile on wood, because wood moves too much with temp and moisture.

I put thin set under backer board or cement board and screw it down.

I don't like using large tile over wood sub floors, it will usually pop up or crack the tile.

Wood will flex when a heavy person walks on it, so I wouldn't go larger than 6x6.

To deal with elevation difference get you a piece of oak and make a transition piece. Done that many times. A few times I make the oak piece to match the elevation of the tile and grout to the oak. Or mill the oak to go over the tile.

George

Switchflicker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I did was heat the tile with a propane torch as hot as I dared. That softened the adhesive behind and then worked a thin scraper (steel spatula if you wish) behind the tile. Most of the tile broke during the prying process, but the board behind the tile ( in this case it was that blue gyproc wall board) remained in very good shape. I wished there was cement board, but no such luck.

Dremmel makes an attachment to rout out the grout as well. I did that before the heat and pry stuff. Worked good.

Burned my arm a couple of times though.

Sw

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by Ultradog MN on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by Ultradog MN on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sawzall or other types of reciprocating saws are not designed to hammer on the end.
They are designed to pull the teeth through the material you are cutting.
Using one like you suggest would wreck a $200 Super Sawzall® in short order.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Used thin set under cement board and backer board, never had a problem. That was 20 years ago.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by Ultradog MN on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use a 2" wide wood chisel to remove the tile. Don't pound on the tile. Drive the chisel under the tile. When it's set on plywood usually pops right off. Plywood is generally a bad underlayment for ceramic.
If you need to remove the plywood it won't be too hard. It may pull a little veneer off the sheathing. No big deal. If it pulls a lot of it off just patch it with something like Durham's Rock Hard water putty (paint dept. at Lowes).
Use 1/4 or 1/2 cement board underlayment. It's sold under names like Hardi-Backer.
The instructions actually say to set the underlayment in thinset. Who follows the directions? I use construction adhesive and screws. You want to eliminate as much movement as possible. With 1/2" underlayment I'll put screws every 4" around the perimeter of each sheet, and 8" both directions in the field. 1/4" will get 2 1/2" around the perimeter and 6" in the field. (UD, I know you think that's overkill but I know guys that do 4" in the field).
My concern is not for the guy that tears out my work. My concern is that what my customer pays me to do lasts a very long time.

UD, getting a little OT here.....what gets me riled is when I tear out a floor that has vinyl on 1/4" lauan over vinyl on lauan, over vinyl on lauan. Each layer with staples or nails every 4".

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just tear it out to the joists and replace with sub-flooring(Advantech) and cement board. Only use thins-set to set the tile.

HTH

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by Ultradog MN on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 am; edited 2 times in total
George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tearing out is not my problem. After I die, it may be the new owner's problem. I've done 5 rooms in my house and 4 rooms for my sister. Not one tile has popped, cracked, no grout failure. No plans to ever change tile either.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Ceramic Tile Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Edit
I'm going to have to do some soul searching on this.

Last edited by Ultradog MN on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.