Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on Ford Backhoe 555 B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kentucky Boy

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Opinions on Ford Backhoe 555 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at a used one. Are these good machines? Anything to look for on a used one?

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Ford Backhoe 555 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very good machines! Should be info on what to look for in the archives.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Ford Backhoe 555 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neighbor has one that he loves! We had owned an IH 3444 together for years, and that machine did well for us. Mercifully we both got to the place where we wanted something newer/bigger and had the means to do it at the same time. I bought a Ford 655A X-hoe at auction. He got this 555B from an institution.(You know- one of those places where no one works too hard, and no expense is spared on maintenance!)
I would just make sure the torque converter drive works Ok, and that the hoe has some power.

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Ford Backhoe 555 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everybody thinks they have to have a case but for a cheaper farm hoe can,t beat the 555b. They offer a lot of hoe for the money.

Bill Lisbon
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Ford Backhoe 555 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great machine, much better than the new New Holland backhoes.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Ford Backhoe 555 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The later ones, built I believe in France, were actually a C series with different fenders. Make sure you take the serial number with you when ordering parts. I think it was a couple months early in 88 they did that. A dealer can tell you what shift built it on what day with the serial number.

If the transmission only wants to work one direction, chances are it can be fixed with a few o-rings. But it takes disassembling most of the machine to get to them.

They'll lift more than a 580 super M, if you can counter-balance it. Also better in mud. with an extand-a-hoe, you can balance it on the rear wheels, and walk through mud like you wouldn't believe. In one field we were tiling for a neighbor, I drove our 555B out to where my dad was digging (and stuck) with the 580SM and set up where we could hook buckets so he could move.

If you have to do a water pump, you have to tilt the radiator and oil coolers forward, you will not get it in place without goofing up the gasket otherwise.

They aren't as fast as a newer machine, but for the price, as long as it's fairly tight, it's hard to go wrong with one.

One more thing, if there's a "<" or ">" on the stick above the "full" mark, if you are going to be working a lot of steep sidehills, fill it to that mark, or it could starve for oil.

black

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Ford Backhoe 555 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had 2 case hoes , a 580 and 580b and both were good, but my buddy has a 555b and his hydralics are faster.for their time they were the best all around hoe.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.