Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill from Scotland
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How good an idea would it be to do Route 66 in an RV?
I know there are lots of organised trips for 66 but having visited the US several time before and done all our own planning we just wondered.
Are there lots of camp sites at reasonable cost?
How well suited is an RV to doing this type of trip?
Ive never driven an RV before so dont really know what to expect.
How long would you guys suggest this trip should take if you want to take in all the good points?
Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks
Bill

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Nothing in this country is "reasonable" anymore. That part is over for good, I"m afraid.

Allan

DoubleR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 30 foot fifth wheel camper that I brought a few years back to do that. I found it was cheaper to just motel it instead. Just book a room a day ahead on line where ever you plan to stay the next night. Unless you stay at the Walmart parking lots a camp ground will cost you close to what you can get a room for the night. Not to mention the savings on gas not pulling your camper.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not going to be a whole lot of help,but I'm envious. I've been on short stretches of the old Route 66,a lot of it goes through towns and you have to deal with traffic. It's hard to follow in places because it's so broken up now. I think the longest stretches of the original route now are in Oklahoma though. That's probably where you'll find the bulk of what you're looking for. Maybe if you do a search for Oklahoma travel it would help.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been along that route in my RV a few times, maybe not all on exactly old Route 66, but in the same area. Plenty of camping NOT a problem, Id buy the new for 2013 first time Trailer Life/Woodalls combined Campground Guide and maybe even the new Rand McNally RV specific GPS

If youre gonan do it in an RV Id suggest it NOT be in the summer as the arid southwest portion of the trip is too dern HOT that time of year, the next time I"m going to make it in either April or October, but if in the mountains of Colorado and Utah, that dont work then, high mountain roads are snow closed until mid June. We do alot of cheap and some dry (NO hookups) camping in places like BLM lands or US National Forest or Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds WHICH ARE FULL HOOKUP AND BEAUTIFUL AND MUCH CHEAPER THEN PRIVATE CAMPS.

Google all the RV Forums (like this site but RV and travel related topics) for a ton of good info on Route 66 in an RV

PS while not all on Route 66 if your in the West and come back the more central route (Utah) DO NOT MISS Grand Canyon,,,,,,and in Utah Bryce Canyon and Zion and Capitol Reef and Canyonlands and Arches National Parks we did all of those this summer.

PS if even more time, dont miss Glacier, Crater Lake, Mt Rainier, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, we did those the last trip.

I LOVE the RV Lifestyle, headed South soon

John T
2001 Four Winds 5000 29 Ft Class C Motorhome
454 Vortec Chevy w/4L80E Overdrive Tranny
110 Gallons fresh water storage capacity
86 Gallons gray water storage capacity
460 Amp hrs of (4) batterys energy storage
Soon to be added 200 watts of rooftop Solar
4 KW Onan Genset
My custom modified "Dry Camping Special"

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will take at least a week,more if you really look around.The original road is kinda broken up,a few parts no longer exist(so they say).It's gonna be a two lane blacktop with some gravel here and there.But easily passable with a 2wd car,motor home.As in much of the southwest,there will some places where there will some long distances between tows/services.Plan ahead,heed the signs.Never actually been there,so take this with a 'grain of salt'.It will be a woonderful trip,wish we could go with you!.Happy travels!

Paul Shuler
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live about 500 yards off of old 66 just west of Springfield MO. Honk when you go by.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Couple of trips I would like to take is US 50,it goes coast to coast.I 'live' on 50,have traveled it from eastern KS to east/mid Utah.Other one is US 287.It goes diagonally from Florida to Washington state,right through Colorado.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One that I'd recomend is north to south,US 127. Mostly 2 lane,but 4 lane in places. I've been on all of it from Grayling Michigan to Chattanooga Tennessee. One of these years,I'm gonna travel the rest of it. Two lane and rural through Ohio,although Cincinatti is a ROYAL PAIN. Beautiful scenery through Ky and Tn.

Ron in NS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could always do the Trans Canada Highway some day too.
Then, turn right, and do the Alaska Highway as well.
Lots of scenery to take in all over N America.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The trouble with Trans-Canada comes when you get to Alberta and British Columbia- all mountains, either up (with the RV just drinkin' the fuel) or down (brakes getting tested to the limit). Too much concentrating on driving, and not enough sight-seeing.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First- the RV are you going to buy or rent? What type of RV? Tow behind, class B or class A? How many people coming with you on this adventure? As many have mentioned choose your weather carefully the southwest can be real hot during the summer. US 66 went from Chicago to Los Angeles, their is a lot of romance with old 66 but you might want to do some research and choose a route that includes some of 66 and some other roads. If you're using a rental unit it won't be specially equipped like John T's unit so you'll have to be more conventional in your camp sites. As others have eluded to get the RV and Rand McNally guides- do that BEFORE YOU GET HERE. There are many RV and tourist web sites you can check out- I'd do that. We don't want to plan your vacation for you- you should do that so you can pick what you want to see. You haven't mentioned how much time you'll be spending here. Not knowing how long you intend to be stateside We don't know how long of a trip you're planning. If I were doing it I think I'd start on the east coast in Maryland, Virginia or the Carolinas and work my way west going through the Appalachia mountains then Kentucky, Tennessee and Pick up 66 in Missouri and follow it West. On 66 you'll miss the Heart of Texas and Colorado, both have places I'd like to see again. Then you have a coast to coast trip not a start in the middle and see 1/2. But time is valuable be careful not to overbook yourself.

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you go 287 i'm about 75 miles east of it with lots of ih/farmall stuff to see

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bill,
Never been on Route 66. Helped cousin Eddie drive a 40 ft monico diesel pusher to Florida about an hour ahead of a bad winter storm. Ice hanging off the mirrors, strong cross wind, snow build up on edge of road, from mirror to mirror 9 ft 10 inches.

With generator running, boiler going to stay warm, motor home got almost 10 mpg.

I told cousin Eddie, next time he needs someone to help get to Florida, lose my number.

That was enough to find out I don't want to drive a semi like motor home.

I think you could have more fun and spend less driving a comfortable car or van. However camping would have an advantage, no bed bugs. Bed bugs is becoming a major problem in the US.
I was told, there isn't an EPA approved chemical to kill them.

I've never taken a trail ride across the US. I think I would check into that first.

George

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: o/t Doing Route 66 in an RV Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of route 66 is no longer there or is for the most part a side road to an interstate like say in the Lebanon Mo area which by the way is 25 mile south of me. Some area of it as still pretty much as it was years ago but with a lot fewer shops etc just depends on where you are as to if you can find camp sites and things to see since many of he old stations etc have long since closed down but a few are still there and some are still open or have been reopened

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.