Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M5 Wide Front Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmallPaul
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi! I have an early M5 (50th one built), and I"ve only had for about a year now. The front end is an adjustable wide front, but it"s square like older ZAE stuff. Well, the problem is that this weekend I got down in a small rut, with the wheels cranked to the side, and a BIG bale on the loader spike, and I broke the center steering arm. It had already been welded, in fact it looks like it is custom made for using the older front end on this M5. I will need to get a replacement, but don"t know if a standard adjustable wide front center arm for an M5 will work, or if I need to get something else? Has anybody ever done/seen this combination? Or does anybody know any good cast welders...... Thanks-

mmdiesel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The M5 wide front end should be more rounded. Your front end is the same as my older UB diesel. Maybe you can see a difference in my picture. I would be happy to answer more questions.

Michael Moeller
mmdieselpuller@yahoo.com

molinegb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Axle pictured is extendable axle used on RTE,ZTE,ZAE and UTE as well as UBE. I would say way too light for any loader!

FarmallPaul
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks- That's what I thought, but didn't realize it was too light. Do you know if the center arm from any of those models would work with this front end on this tractor?

FarmallPaul
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, that's what I thought. Have you got a center arm you'd be willing to sell? How about a whole round tube front end?

molinegb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any tube "E" axle of a M5,M602,5 Star, M670 will fit. A standard axle would be stronger but more changes would be required.

FarmallPaul
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm mostly going to be using this for a loader and mowing, so I don't need adjustable. What all would need to be done to put a standard (non-adjustable) wide front axle on there?

molinegb
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bottom of pedestal has to be changed as pin and clevis assembly heavier. Also mounting to belly housing must be put on. Probably getting tough to find. In western Canada basically all we have are the standard axles. They also use wider rims.I have never seen one break!

Jeff Gravert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have either a complete round tube style front axle or a standard non adjustable style that would be correct for your tractor. Jeff Gravert Central City, NE 308-940-0255

navyreteocs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: M5 Wide Front Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a wide front M5 with a loader . would not steer or stop some was breaking at all time spent a lot of dollars still had a M5 .
Found me a 4010 lp have had no problems feed hay or streening stopping ect . i know the where abouts of a round m5 front end in Kansas.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.