Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1370 wheel weight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here is the pic I have for the factory wheel weights Case had for 1270/1370, we never put any of these on but did equip them with the stack weights, some of the old Case dealer people here may know who the man in the pic is cnt

Tommy Railsback
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's Bill Simpson, a Case engineer who pioneered the concept of "rapid farming."

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bro.
Bill S "MR. CASE" looks a little puzzled by those weights. So am I LOL.
He loved the 13 &1570s., and the W_I_D_E door opening And was even prouder of the 23-2590s. He always refered to the hump on the hood of 23/2590 tractors was acording to him, "a power bulge" He was a big man in many respects, and I was glad to have had the honor to talk to him on numerous ocasions.
Loren

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bro,
Was the cap unbolted from that and then a Case cast center dual bolted to it?
Loren

560farm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never seen those in real life, only in a few book pics. We had fluid in ours as most around did or the "normal" stackable style wheel weights.

Brad

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The concept was great. Before then a dealer would take lets say a 1030, and stack 1500# of weight on the front and load the rear tires with calcium and bolt on another ton of rear weights, so a farmer could pull a 6 Bottom plow, in 2nd gear. LOTTS of high torque being transmitted through the drivetrain !!! It took some educating to convince a farmer to be a little less "macho" and pull a 5 Bottom, without all that weight. We have hilly terain here, and carring that extra weight up hills made little sence when we had a heavy well balanced tractor to start with. That theory was what prompted us to start turboing tractors, and urging farmers to pull their imps. faster. Trans. life was extended 3 fold. and tire sidewall issues went away. The 1470s and 2470s set new standards for reduced compaction and productivity, when adhearing to this theory.
Loren
PS the second pic. is a slide rule calculator that I used a lot to show a farmer how he could pull a smaller imp., and cover more ground with less fuel.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a set of weights like that with the word Case that came off a early long nose 930.

BarryfromIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on the Big Iron auction there is a 1370 with transmission problems. Item #88163 and it has these weights on it. It is located in Ada OK.

1370rod
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never seen weights like that before. Funny how things differ in parts of the country. We sold more 1370's than anyother model and not one had a weight on, neither front or rear. Every 1070 and 1370 had a rock box installed to fill if front weight was called for. Some might wonder what the heck that is. If weight was needed on the rear, mr. farmer had fluid pumped in the tires. Rod.

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loren, What was Bill's job at Case?

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think so, need to pull up a parts and see where these were all used

bradley martin
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those weights (like long axles) would be very hard on machine shed door jambs and gate posts!!!

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bill was a man of many hats, within Case Co. I don't know what his official title was, Head of R&D, I believe. When we were expressing the need for Case to Offer a front wheel drive on the 70 series tractors, he was the "go to man" He made all the arangments for me to get a 1070 shipped to mud hog and have the hydraulic front asist designed and mtd. to it. They went on to design it for the 90 series also, and it wasn't long before the mfd was offered. Bill had told me when we got the ball rolling on the 1070 that things were in the "works", and be patient. At that time Oliver/White had taken over the 80-120HP tractor market, in our area.
Bill was also the PT Barnum in Case Co. During Dealer Intros etc. He was the Ring Master.
One thing that always impressed me from the time I started going to Case gatherings, was that all the Case managment people made themselves available to their dealers and especially when were out in the field for sales schools or intros, they got in the food line and sat down to eat with us. That changed after the merger.
Loren

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1370 wheel weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Loren, Very interesting.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.