Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow....

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple of wrong parts, a little rain & then four inches of snow. All this leads me to believe that I may not be doing any more plowing this season. There is a slight chance we'll have a dry spell, but I'm not holding my breath.

So, in the event I can't get back to plowing, what are my options? About all I know is, the corn stubble needs to be plowed under in the fall. I'm at just about the half way point on 35 acres & most of it was chopped. I have about two acres of shelled corn to plow under, too.

Yes, I would have LOVED to have been done with this nonsense a month ago. Looking for a different plow & not getting the "go ahead" until just before Thanksgiving have dictated otherwise. Also, if I would have known my plow was pooped out & that was indeed the tool I would be using to till 35 acres... the D@MN thing would have been rebuilt a long time ago.

Mike

Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plow it in the snow. If it's not too wet underneath it'll go ok. The snow ill be a blanket keeping the ground from freezing.
AaronSEIA

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is next year's crop on this ground? You are pretty far north, like me, so some of the southern folk might not quite understand your prediciment, for them spring heavy tillage is almost prefered.

Small grains go into cornstalks real easy, light disking.

Soybeans you can get by with some disking, got more time in spring to wait on planting beans. You can spring plow it, but thst can bite you if the weather is wrong, and the weed flush is something amazing... Can make it work somehow.

If you plan to plant corn on corn, well it'll work out but if the weather is wrong it'll ding you some, as well as insects and fungus and Goss' Wilt become much bigger concerns. I plant about 25 acres of corn on corn the cattle graze, so it's got some trash munched off, but still is about what you have, and I let it wait for the later planting, work it up with the disk, the field cultivator, and it works out.

--->Paul

4020guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both Paul and Aaron are correct. I've ploughed lots of snow down. If the ground was frozen a bit the frost will come out under the snow as long as it doesn't get too severely cold. Bare ground with a bit of frost gives really good traction but if it is frozen under the snow it is pretty slippery. We try to work all the heavier ground and corn stalks in the fall with the soil saver or plough. The lighter soybean or stubble gets disked or cultivated in the spring. We find this far north tillage makes the ground warm up alot faster in the spring. Most times any primary tillage[deep] on heavier ground in the spring can turn into a disaster. My thoughts anyway. I'd give her a try. The only month I've never done tillage in is Feburary. Good luck....Ron

Earl-IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Call in your local antique tractor club & they will plow it for you. You might have to furnish the fuel & food. Our tractor clubs are looking for ground to plow .

4020guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, if you do get it ploughed, finish the headlands as soon as you are done the field. That packed tramped area will freeze like really fast. Sometimes before you are done the field.....Ron

casenut1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

plowing under snow puts nitrogen in the ground.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

casenut1 wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:04:28 12/11/12) plowing under snow puts nitrogen in the ground.

Thats what I was going to say! My Granddad always said that an inch of snow on spring grain is the same as a ton of manure. Not sure if its the same, but it's beneficial I am sure.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did a lot of plowing in the snow...usually put the left dual on for a bit extra traction and weight. That snow is actually giving your ground a lot of insulation, buying you time. No reason not to plow as long as you can pull it and the frost doesn't get too deep. And some figure some extra nitrogen as well.

TW
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve done a lot of plowing in these conditions. As long as the ground isn"t frozen throw a chain on the left tire & go to it. I used to do this with a Farmall 300 & "H".
PS. I am only a couple miles from you.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would as Tw suggested and plow it. I need chains on my garden tractor since it has turf tires. I plowed my garden in Feb since we didn't get any snow and very little rain. We got the most rain on Oct 29 when that storm Sandy hit the east coast around 7 inches. Hal

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, that certainly rids me of any uncertainty I had about my H & two bottom. Encouraging, actually. I could have sworn I had seen guys turning the snow under, but it has been so long I wasn't sure.

Now, where on earth did I put those tire chains?! Lol!

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's good news! I had thought at some point in my life, I had seen plowing done with snow on the ground & wouldn't you know there isn't an other plow in the ground around me when I'm thinking of it.

Always good to hear from a neighbor on the forum. Which direction are you from me? Email's open if you'd like....

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll have to give plowing a try tomorrow, then. The dual wheel idea is great, but I don't have any extra 11.2x38's. Between fluid & a single weight on either rear tire I think there's enough ballast there. Sould probably dig out my chains, though.

Thanks,

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't think I'll get a chance to test the plow.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will do, thanks!

Mike

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.