Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall H won't pull

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
330 Standard
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 farmall H's from 2 seperate sources. I have adjusted clutches etc and all seem to be okay. They work just fine in the lower gears pulling a trailer loaded on relatively flat ground but do good to barely pull themselves up a very very slight hill on the road in the 2 higher gears. I'd like to use one of these to pull a hay ride trailer but they won't even pull themselves much less a trailer with people. Does anybody have an idea of what could be wrong or what i need to try or do. They will not pull like my JD's do except in the lower slow gears and those are way too slow for the hay ride shuttle we use at a local festival.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your clutch is worn and probably needs to be replaced.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there is a lot of variables, here first the H if its a regular H is rated at 24 horsepower, about the same as a ford N series, the reason it makes the N look bad is the H is much larger, heavier, and is better geared and thus it is able to pull much better and get more done than a ford N series, but very few tractors will pull good in the top gears road gear is mainly for transporting the tractor from one field to the next the next lower is for light work, say pulling something like a empty wagon, if your a jd man, you are used to a tractor with a completely different set of operating perimeters, the jd makes its pulling power with a massive amount of weight in motion, at a low rpm, this will allow it to keep lugging thru a hard spot in the field without stalling, or pull a loaded wagon at low rpm the H makes its power with rpm, meaning it has to be wound up more than the jd does to do the same work, once the rmp drops, so does the ability to keep lugging, pulling a hay ride wagon will depend on the size of the wagon, the number of people on it, and how steep the hill is that you going up, the last ride i pulled i had a 16 foot trailer, and 12 people on it, and power was a farmall cub, in 2nd gear, but the ground i was on was almost perfectly flat and hard, or the cub would not have done it, if both H's behave the same way from 2 different sources, im betting the tractor is fine, just have to drop it a gear down and enjoy the ride

hoof print
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5th gear is a road gear (meant for use going from field to field, not for work), should be able to reach about 18mph....that's a little fast for a hay ride!

4th gear, well, if your dying to go that fast with a load of people, I'd start with a tune up and see what that gets you.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to be more specific than that.

What do you mean by "barely pull?"

Does the engine run out of power? Does the tractor just sit there with the engine roaring away?

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't say what they are doing. Is the clutch slipping or are you running out of power????

If you are running out of horse power then welcome to reality of a worn out small horse power tractor with a fast road gear. An IH "H" was only 17-19 horse power when brand new.

I know that I will get beat up by some guys but here goes. We had two Farmall "H" tractors when I was a kid. About the only thing they where any good for was pulling a hay rake. IF the ground got hard they would not push a four row cultivator. We would have to take one side off. You did not dare try to pull a loaded wagon on any of our hills. You would get pushed all over the place going down the hill and spin out or kill them going up the hill. Real gutless wonders. They are kind of like an 8N Ford: they beat a team of horses by a little bit. I know they sold millions of them but most of those fellows where buying their first tractor and did not have much else to compare them too.

330 Standard
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay here is a reply so you all have more information to work with. The engine does not stall. It keeps running just fine. The tractor just quits moving. Believe me this hill is very slight. really almost no hill at all. All I have used this tractor for since i got it was raking hay and pulling a 16 ft trailer around the farm loading junk to be hauled however the last 2 loads of junk were heavy loads and it pulled just fine on relatively level hard ground. I realize high gear is road gear and would not pull a hay ride that fast but this tractor would not pull itself if I was moving it from field to field.I have been pulling this shuttle with a 43' JD A in 5 th gear and it is about the right speed for the 3 mile round trip. The lower H gears that this tractor will pull in will be way too slow for the traffic. This is really more of a people mover at the festival than a hay ride. I would just like to use the H because it is electric starting and to do something different. So any ideas?

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD Seller wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:21:00 12/12/12) You don't say what they are doing. Is the clutch slipping or are you running out of power????

If you are running out of horse power then welcome to reality of a worn out small horse power tractor with a fast road gear. An IH "H" was only 17-19 horse power when brand new.

I know that I will get beat up by some guys but here goes. We had two Farmall "H" tractors when I was a kid. About the only thing they where any good for was pulling a hay rake. IF the ground got hard they would not push a four row cultivator. We would have to take one side off. You did not dare try to pull a loaded wagon on any of our hills. You would get pushed all over the place going down the hill and spin out or kill them going up the hill. Real gutless wonders. They are kind of like an 8N Ford: they beat a team of horses by a little bit. I know they sold millions of them but most of those fellows where buying their first tractor and did not have much else to compare them too.

I'll take a Farmall H any day over an 8n Ford or even a John Deere A, and yes, I said John Deere A.

A Farmall H, in good condition and tuned up properly will easily pull itself in 5th gear on the road and will do so even on hills. An empty hay wagon will effect it very little and several folks on a hay ride shouldn't bother it all that much either.

330 Standard
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also i don't think the engine is worn out at least on one of them because the previous owner stated it had been rebuilt a few years back and it shows all those signs. Starts, runs, idles great.

NY 986
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Even die hard IH guys are divided over the legacy of the H. A lot more H's than M's sold around here back in the day. Most pulled 2-12's and if an owner had extra money he would have a set of 2-14's for any "light" fields. It seemed the H could move only slightly more than itself in road gear. A wagon full of hay 4th gear or 3rd gear if hilly (but not steep).

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you're expecting a bit too much from them.

My H has been a faithful workhorse in the family for 50 years. HOWEVER, it has its limits. It will hit 24 mph in 5th gear with no load, but you need a rolling start in 4th and it takes a long time to get there. I wouldn't even consider pulling any kind of load in 5th.

Even in 4th, you run out of ponies real fast with any kind of a load.

330 Standard
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is why I posted. I am confused in that some say what you have and others seem to think in 4th it should pull better. What your saying about the rolling start in 4th is describing my tractor more accurately. I have way more JD's than Farmalls but I am not a purist. I like a lot of the old tractors for the differences they have. I have been trying to increase my Farmall collection. My main reason for considering this is another operator used a Super C for several years with no problems and moved fast enough to be no problem with traffic so i figured if a C could do it an H should be able to as well.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're not running out of power, the clutch is either BADLY adjusted, or shot.

You should have about 1" of free clutch pedal travel before it meets resistance.

The clutch and pressure plate on an H can be changed from underneath without splitting the tractor.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must not have much in the way of hills. Here is a picture of my drive way. Neither of the two "H" Farmalls would pull this hill in road gear empty. Put a wagon behind them and it had better be empty or you would come down it back wards.

I am not a big two cylinder/hand clutch fan but a JD "A" would drag an Farmall "H" around all day long. You are comparing two different size tractors.

48C-MAN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H won't pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tach the engine and check governor settings. Possible simple fix.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.