Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Case 400 Smokes but won't start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nayr272
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Case 400 Smokes but won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been working on a case 400 diesel that I
cannot get to run we pulled it for 30 minutes, it
smokes but will only run on either and we had it
plugged in overnight.

any ideas? Thanks.

j hikemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Case 400 Smokes but won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

remove air filter neck ,need more history info ,. if fuel pump removed ,, the timing is not rite ,.800b caused a lot of good fellas round here to loose their religion , before we finally timed it up rite ...

830 man

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Case 400 Smokes but won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Compression test may be in order.

nayr272
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Case 400 Smokes but won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the timing should be fine the engine has never been taken apart, however it ranaway on my dad about two years ago and we just got the pump fixed.

830 man

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Case 400 Smokes but won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was the pump removed to be fixed? If so tje pump timing may be off.

nayr272
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Case 400 Smokes but won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes the pump was off, I realized that now after looking closer at the manual I guess I thought that It could only go on one way because there is one tooth that is bigger than the rest.

EliG
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 400 Smokes but won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First of all I would recommend not using ether on this engine. Eventually the heads will crack.

Timing has been mentioned.

Is the compression turned on? The lever under the dash on the right hand side should be parallel to the steering column (pointed down) for it to be on.

Has the fuel system been bled properly and is the transfer pump bypass valve closed on the first stage filter housing?

Are the throttle linkages hooked up correctly and is the control arm on the pump indexed properly? If any of this is out of adjustment it may be getting enough fuel to smoke but not fire.

How is the block heater plumbed? When I got my 400 diesel the outlet of the heater was plumbed into the plug on the top of the water manifold. This did a good job of heating the radiator and left the block stone cold. During the overhaul I plumbed the new 1000 watt heater into the plug on the left side of the engine towards the front of the block. It easily heats the water to 100+ degrees in about 1 hr.

Good luck and keep us posted.

nayr272
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 400 Smokes but won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it running, the pump was 180 degrees off.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 400 Smokes but won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nayr272 wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:40:02 12/12/12) Got it running, the pump was 180 degrees off.

Don't feel too bad, I did that to a 970 once. It ran, but wasn't happy about the experience. Smoked like a coal fired train, terrible throttle response, wouldn't idle. Didn't know they would run 180 out.

Last edited by RGMartin on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.