Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scatter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would imagine this has been asked a million times, but here goes. I have found a very nice AC model B. I does not have electric start. Or for that, not even an electrical lighting system. What all is involved to adding a starter. I see that the torque tubes are different. How hard to find and how expensive to add. The electrical system itself is no real biggie to wire. But I"m going to need either a generator or alternator and bracket. I"m sure a different flywheel will be in order too. The tractor had a cosmetic restoration several years ago. The tires are almost new. It starts easy enough. A couple of 2 or 3 cranks is all it takes. I can probably buy it for $600.00. But I don"t care for a hand crank engine. Thanks.

Bus Driver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the engine block have the tapped bosses for the generator mount? Seems that I recall seeing some early Bs and/or Cs that did not have those bolt holes. And does it have hand brakes?

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have all of the parts you would need except for a starter. All can be mailed except the torque tube, which is too heavy. I am in northern NY state. Send me an email if you are interested in parts.
Zach

scatter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do not know about the bolt holes. The tractor has foot operated brakes. I wrote the serial number down when I went to look at it. Can't seem to locate it now. Which side of the engine would the generator mount?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot depends on where you are. The torque tube is heavy as in the flywheel so shipping could be a big problem. I also have most if not all you need on hand but I am in Missouri

scatter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I haven't bought it yet. Trying to figure out if the tractor's worth the trouble. I'm a Farmall and Deere man. But I've always liked the power the older AC's had.

hd6gtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The alt/gen mounts on the same side as the clutch peddle. The one I have does not have the bolt holes in the block for the gen. Someone converted this to electric start and mounted a generator under the seat. It runs off the pto shaft.

Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a torque tube from a CA that would work. Located in NE Ohio $50.

scatter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Ted.

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you are prob going to need engine block, yours prob does not have holes for generator mount.If you haven"t bought it pass on it till you find a electric start one. Somebody else would prob like a nice origional hand start B that hasn"t been peiced together.

Curt south of K.C.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look locally their a dime a dozen,would be a easy fix.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

generator mounts to the left side, pulley in line with the fan belt. I have center punched the hole locations by comparing to another block, then drill and tap right thru the block. I loctite a stud in the two holes, and mount the generator bracket to it... no problem. YOu need a longer fan belt.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as long as your at it, mount an alternator and 12 volt system.

1940 Orchard B, OB made from B Allis- now wiht FORD mower deck

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey steve is that a home made IB?

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers B Electric start conversion. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey steve is that a home made IB?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.